Solberg Hall was built in 1901 for $65,000 and named in honor of Halvor Christian Solberg, the man who introduced mechanical engineering to SDSU. Solberg drove the first car in Brookings in 1904 and started an automobile engineering course before anyone recognized that the auto was here to stay. He drew up plans for Highway 14 from Winona, MN to the Black Hills, as well as numerous other projects.
Originally the Physics and Engineering Building, as it was called then, was built as a two-story structure. A third floor was added between 1910 and 1920. The one-story annex east of the original building resulted from two more additions between 1920 and 1930. In the basement of Solberg Hall, 1907 electrical engineering graduate Stephen F. Briggs invented the single-cylinder, internal combustion gasoline engine that went on to become a household name. Briggs went on to be co-founder of the Briggs & Stratton Corporation, home to the Briggs & Stratton engine. The building was renovated in 2003.
Physical Address:907 Campanile Ave.
Brookings, SD 57007