Wecota's fraternal twin to the North built in 1909, was the first women's dormitory on campus. The name signifies the firstborn maiden in an Indian family.
The U.S. Department of Interior on May 7, 1980 added both Wenona and Wecota to the National Register of Historic Places.
Sioux Falls architect John J. Scwartz designed the building. Wenona was begun in 1908 and completed in 1909 at a cost of $50,000. Art instructor Ada Caldwell secured the name which represents the name given to the first maiden daughter in an Indian family, from state historian Doane Robinson.
Both Wenona and Wecota are fine examples of the neoclassical style and significant for their representation of early 20th century academic architecture in a campus setting.
Physical Address:1145 Medary Ave.
Brookings, SD 57007