Built in 1940, the Pugsley Center is home to the School of English and Interdisciplinary Studies.
The three-story, brick structure was originally built as the student union. It is the product of the loyalty and fundraising genius of the students of that era. The fundraising began with a penny carnival and culminated with a pledge of self-assessed student fees to repay bonds that were matched by the Federal Public Works Administration for $150,000.
Named for former university president Charles Pugsley, also an assistant secretary of agriculture during the Harding Administration, the union was known for The Jungle, a cafeteria with brightly painted foliage on the walls. Pugsley is also home to the Christy Ballroom, a 1959 addition. In 1973, the new University Student Union was built in the center of campus.
Physical Address:1057 8th St.
Brookings, SD 57007
The interactive map allows users to plot directions between buildings and show locations of highlighted features and services across the SDSU campus. Click on the image below to direct you to the SDSU interactive map.