Originally built in 1927, Lincoln Hall is currently being renovated and will become the home for the School of American and Global Studies and the administrative offices of the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences.
Uniquely historic, the Neo-Classical brick and Bedford limestone building was the university’s library until 1979. It was dedicated in recognition of President Abraham Lincoln’s role in the passing of the Morrill Act, the legislation that became the foundation for land-grant universities. President Calvin Coolidge and First Lady Grace Coolidge were part of the Lincoln Hall dedication that attracted a crowd of nearly 15,000 people. The president and first lady also helped place the plaque on the front of what is also known as Coolidge Sylvan Theater, the outdoor space next to Lincoln Hall.
Lincoln Hall became home to the SDSU music department in 1979 when the Hilton M. Briggs Library opened. In 2018, the music department merged with the theatre department to form the School of Performing Arts, which is housed in the Oscar Larson Performing Arts Center.
Physical Address:910 Medary Ave.
Brookings, SD 57007