University Marketing & Communications (UMC) has established a list of baseline web services that it provides at no charge to all internal clients, including administrative offices, colleges, departments, service units and other groups.
Baseline Web Services
UMC provides the following baseline web services to its clients.
- Baseline Content types
- Landing Pages
- 'Our People' Pages
Content on sdstate.edu created by UMC will be compatible with and readable using the systems listed below.
Compatibility with any system not listed would exceed baseline services and be treated as a project, subject to an additional development cost. Addressing broken display of sdstate.edu on systems not listed here is outside the scope of baseline services.
- Windows 7 through 10
- iOS (Current)
- Android (Current)
- Latest Versions of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Internet Explorer version 11
- Drupal tools and training
To teach content managers and web editors how to add, edit and manage online content on sdstate.edu, and includes access to Drupal “Paragraphs” elements that provide layout flexibility for landing pages.
- Accessibility tool(s) and training
UMC provides content managers and web editors with access to Siteimprove accessibility software and training on how to use it—a requirement that must be met by all content managers and web editors before they are granted access to content-editing tools—to assure that all content posted on SDSU official and affiliated websites is compliant with revised Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 and Section 508 Standards.
- Social media assistance and training
UMC provides campus social media managers with basic account setup assistance, content strategy and target audience guidance, best practices guidance and access to the university digital social media style guide.
- How-to videos and step-by-step instructions
UMC provides a set of online resources for content managers and web editors, including an online blog with notifications and additional information.
- Weekly Drupal open sessions
Provided for content managers and web editors to get individual assistance with web-related issues.
- Web Support
Contact websupport to report bugs or errors occurring in pages or tools, or to request assistance resolving issues with sdstate.edu.
- Content review
- An audit and review of content on college and department landing pages will be done and recommendations provided.
- Annual set-up and access to (Google) analytics will be provided upon request to content managers and web editors for their pages.
- Social media connections
- UMC will provide a connection to permit the display of a feed from Facebook on landing pages.
- Custom URLs and URL forwarding can be provided on an as-needed basis.
Use of template-based web pages and content types within sdstate.edu and the training necessary to use them to create and post content
Resources for content managers and web editors
- Other baseline support and services
Custom Web Services
UMC can create and implement (or facilitate creation and implementation of) custom web projects—including, but not limited to, web tools, web pages, websites, content types and other features—on sdstate.edu and affiliated sites, for an additional hourly cost. UMC will advise those requesting special projects as to their appropriateness for inclusion on sdstate.edu.
Custom projects can be implemented two ways:
Through UMC identifying, integrating and implementing existing Drupal modules on sdstate.edu or an affiliate website; or
Through referring clients to the University’s web development firm of record (currently Blend Interactive of Sioux Falls) to build more complex, individualized projects.
- Custom services may include
- Development of custom tools for use within sdstate.edu or affiliated sites to support the business goals of university colleges, departments or units (for example, the Explore Majors and Careers tool, ADRDL User Guide, etc.).
- Development of custom pages within sdstate.edu that fall outside the scope of UMC Baseline Services (for example, Exercise Science page, University Archives page, etc.) for use within sdstate.edu or affiliated sites.
- Providing theming for custom projects that is consistent with sdstate.edu theming.
- Creating custom content types, style sheets, templates, etc. to provide project functionality.
- Creating custom web graphics (for example, animated GIF or SVG or modals like those seen on these pages: http://www.sdstate.edu/south-dakota-agricultural-experiment-station/field-stations and https://www.sdstate.edu/wellness-center/health-promotion-wellness and https://www.sdstate.edu/south-dakota-art-museum/galleries).
- Providing necessary tools and training to allow management of specialized custom web tools, pages and sites by content managers and web editors.
- Providing custom copywriting and content editing assistance.
- Providing photography and video services.
- Development of a new Drupal website for an SDState affiliated organization, to be published outside of sdstate.edu (including custom templates, style sheets, content types, etc.). Note: Non-SDSU web projects will not be accepted—potential clients will be referred to external providers.
For any custom projects, UMC and/or its web development firm of record will provide a detailed scope of work, including specific deliverables, an estimate of costs, compatibility information and a projected timeline for delivery.
|Write or edit web content||$35/hr|
|Update existing web content/content management||$35/hr|
|Create custom HubSpot newsletter header (or other template) and set up account||$100 annual fee|
|Create custom web graphics (for example, animated GIF, SVG or modals)||$35/hr|
|Create a new content type and custom tool(s) to manage it||$50/hr (estimate for entire project to be included in scope of work)|
|Build specialized tools to manage and display dynamic content (for example, the Explore Majors and Careers tool or the ADRDL tool)—will be referred to external provider||approx. $175/hr (estimate for entire project to be included in scope of work)|
|Build a new Drupal website for an SDSU-affiliated organization, to be published outside of sdstate.edu (including templates, style sheets, content types, management tools, etc.)—will be referred to an external provider
Note: Non-SDSU web projects will not be accepted—customers will be referred to external providers.
|approx. $175/hr (estimate for entire project to be included in scope of work)|
Requesting a Project Meeting
Projects will be undertaken after a client meeting at which the scope of work is agreed upon and a contract signed. Terms of the scope of work will specify all deliverables. Any changes to deliverables would be subject to opening a separate contract or renegotiation of the original contract in order to include them.
Clients will receive regular updates throughout the duration of the project and have two opportunities to review the work before delivery of the final version of a project, at which time it will be deemed complete.
Ongoing maintenance and functionality support for completed projects will be considered part of baseline services going forward. Any significant changes or additions of new features or expanded functionality will be undertaken as a new project and will require a new contract.
Contact websupport with questions.