The mission of University Marketing and Communications is to enhance and protect the institutional reputation of South Dakota State University; to advance and strengthen the institution’s brand; to encourage community engagement and to reinforce the university’s relevance to key audiences.
The guiding principles that support marketing and communications include:
- Effectively enhance awareness and understanding of events, policies, issues and developments within the university community through a results-based communications process that is consistent and of high quality;
- Ensure quality is achieved through ongoing dialogue, collaboration and an exchange of ideas to best reflect university attitudes, cultures, identities, perspectives and social systems; and
- Maintain industry standards and best practices as they apply to creative services, design, production, technology platforms, and informational and media services through measurement, evaluation and analysis.
University Marketing and Communications will serve as the central communications office for the university. It will foster and expand relationships with internal and external audiences and align communications initiatives and messaging with the university's strategic direction and goals. Marketing and communications functions include:
- Strategic Communications provides news service and distribution; manages media relations; maintains the university experts list; creates content across multiple platforms; participates in strategic planning; provides communications support for IMPACT 2018 and other institutional initiatives; measures and evaluates results of communications.
- Web Development serves as a primary marketing and communications medium for the university; functions as a repository of information for multiple audiences, internal and external; fosters best practices and consistency across multiple technologies; presents content in effective, innovative and dynamic ways to enhance the university's web presence.
- Digital and Social Media include the development, planning and production of marketing, promotional, news and online video projects that describe and promote SDSU. It also includes the use of Web-based and mobile technologies to interact with a range of audiences through text, images, video, audio or shared links. UMC serves as the gatekeeper of the university’s social media policies and guides, providing assistance and training to colleges, departments and units seeking a social media platform and presence.
- Creative Services and Branding serves as the university's brand ambassadors and guardians of SDSU's marks, graphic identity and brand standards; collaborates and consults with various colleges, departments and units to meet design, photography and related needs.
- Marketing coordinates, develops and assesses the university's brand awareness campaign – Be Great. Start Here. – and supports colleges and departments with marketing initiatives designed to increase value proposition through customer engagement.
- Trademarks and Licensing manages trademarks; supports vendor relations with the Department of Finance & Business; provides apparel and merchandise evaluations and approvals; and supports increased product placement and innovation.
The culture of University Marketing and Communications invites strategic thinking, collaboration and effective use of available resources. It is vital that best-of-class marketing and communications services are maintained through quality control initiatives dedicated to that process.