To make an impact - teaching.
The society in which you live plays a significant role in your education, your relationships, your career, your economic status and much more. Sociology majors often make strong teachers because of their understanding of how people behave and interact. Students in this specialization gain mastery of sociology by studying and applying contemporary sociological theory and research to social issues such as globalization, social inequality, diversity, family, religion, or population. Additionally, students complete pedagogy courses to prepare for employment in middle school or senior high level teaching.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Are curious about the world around you
- Are interested in people and behaviors
- Have a desire to help people
- Have strong writing and communication skills
- Are interested in teaching
- Secondary school teachers (except special and vocational)
- Teaching assistants
- Curriculum developers
- Afterschool program directors
- SD, MN, and IA School Districts
- School Counselor Roncalli Elementary
Clubs and Organizations
- Sociology Club
- Alpha Kappa Delta
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.