The School of Psychology, Sociology and Rural Studies is committed to providing a supportive and dynamic teaching and research environment that equips and inspires faculty and students to learn, create, and apply knowledge in psychology, sociology and rural studies. Through teaching, research, service, and outreach, faculty will address challenges faced by the individual, society, and the world.
The School of Psychology, Sociology and Rural Studies will be nationally recognized for its commitment to excellence in teaching and basic and applied research to enhance the well-being of individuals and society.
Excellence in Research
- Conduct research using methods and analyses appropriate to our disciplines
- Contribute to and disseminate knowledge appropriate to our disciplines
Excellence in Teaching
- Provide curricula and instruction aligned with national standards for disciplines
- Engage students in active learning that stimulates their intellectual curiosity and prepares them for a fulfilling career
- Demonstrate and impart to students an understanding of professional and ethical principles (e.g., American Psychological Association, American Sociological Association, Community Development Society)
- Work ethically in pursuit of truth, accuracy, fairness, and inclusion as well as the principles of academic freedom and free speech
Diversity and Inclusion
- Create, foster, and embrace inclusive practices in teaching, research, and outreach
- Integrate perspectives of individuals from all backgrounds and with varied social identities
Engagement and Outreach
- Serve as a source of expertise and evidence-based strategies for individuals, communities, and organizations facing challenges
- Encourage faculty and student involvement in activities that enhance the quality of life of the university, professional and other communities.