Flexible program providing a competitive edge in agriculture.
Agricultural Science offers students a practical, well-rounded education in agriculture. Because of their comprehensive background, Ag Science majors are placed in a wide variety of professional capacities in the agricultural industry, including sales, business, management, and production.
Specific positions are determined in part by students’ academic coursework, internships, work experiences, and extracurricular involvement.
Often students seek this major because of a career goal to own or operate a farm or ranch. Additionally, students frequently select this major to explore their interest in agriculture.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Enjoy working in production agriculture.
- Want flexibility in your education.
- Seek broad understanding of various aspects of agriculture with the opportunity to complete multiple academic minors.
- Want to work outdoors; enjoy hands-on active learning.
- Have an interest in science in the agriculture industry; want to explore different career paths.
- Production Agriculture (Farmer/Rancher)
- Agricultural Sales
- Farm Manager
- Family Farm
- SD Wheat Growers
- Christensen Farms & Feedlots Inc.
- New Fashion Pork
- Winfield Solutions
- Swine Science
- Agricultural and Environmental Law
- Animal Science
- Agricultural Business or Agricultural Marketing
- Precision Agriculture
- Range Science
Clubs and Organizations
- Collegiate 4-H or FFA
- Agronomy and Conservation Club
- Judging Teams
- Block and Bridle
- Little International
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.