- Brookings Main Campus
Transforming Global Agriculture.
The Agronomy, Horticulture, and Plant Science Department is a nationally- recognized educational and research institute. Our graduate students conduct original research and are trained in investigative techniques by experienced faculty. Graduate training also includes classroom instruction, teaching experience, and meaningful experiences in laboratory, greenhouse, and/or field research techniques. Departmental diversity encourages collaborations among disciplines and research programs that support graduate training. Students can pursue their graduate studies within the integrated research programs of arboriculture, crop science, entomology, genomics and genetics, plant biotechnology, plant breeding, plant pathology, precision agriculture, seed technologies, soil science and biogeochemistry, viticulture, water management, and weed science.
Our faculty members will guide Ph. D. students to tailor academic and research programs to fit their career goals and personal preferences. M.S. graduates have knowledge and expertise in f advanced developments in agriculture and experimental design and data analytics, combined with strong scientific communication skills, and experience in stakeholder engagement. Our recent M.S. graduates are employed as post-doctoral researchers or lecturers at universities or USDA-ARS research centers and as scientists in the agriculture industry.
The Agronomy, Horticulture, and Plant Science Department supports an inclusive and welcoming environment to promote an academic culture of diversity, inclusion, engagement, achievement, and professionalism. Our Plant Science Graduate Students Association activities provide opportunities for leadership enhancement, career skills development and professional networking.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Hold an undergraduate degree in agriculture, biology, botany, horticulture, agriculture, environmental science, natural resources, or other related field
- Have a strong interest in advancing the field of plant science
- Want to lead research in the lab and out in the field
- Can think critically and creatively about complex problems
- Agricultural consultant (domestic or international)
- Agricultural chemical researcher or sales manager
- Commercial crop or greenhouse manager
- Food processing scientist
- Plant biotechnologist
- Plant breeder
- Plant industry or biofuels researcher
- Plant-pest protection specialist
- Senior scientist or program leader for a federal or state agriculture, environmental quality, or land management agency
- University professor, research support scientist, or extension educator