Sustainable landscapes and local food production.
The Horticulture major is designed to prepare students for careers in nursery production, ornamental landscape management, local food production, tree and turf management, garden center operation, and greenhouse production.
Greenhouse facilities and extensive field plots in woody and herbaceous ornamentals, turf, fruit, and vegetables provide students with the opportunity to experience all aspects of plant production and management.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Enjoy hands-on active learning
- Are involved in 4-H, FFA, or other agriculture-related activities
- Want to help others by practicing sustainable farming
- Want to grow plants for beautiful landscapes
- Want to discover new ways to produce safe, nutritious foods
- Ornamental landscape design
- Lawn and tree care
- Greenhouse production or ornamentals, fruits, and vegetables
- Production and distribution
- University of NE Extension
- S&S Tree and Horticultural Specialists
- Hillside Prairie Gardens
- Upper Elkhorn Natural Resource District
- SchinDigs Greenhouse
- McCrory Gardens
- Pest Management
- Soil Science
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.