Energetic. Creative. Passionate. Professional. You can make a difference.
Landscape architecture is a challenging field that offers many diverse career paths. Landscape architects analyze, plan, design, manage, and nurture the built and natural environments. Landscape architects have a significant impact on communities and quality of life, designing parks, campuses, streetscapes, trails, plazas, and other projects that help define a community. Cultural and scientific knowledge is applied to the use and arrangement of natural and man-made elements with concern for resource conservation, stewardship, and the environment. Graduates work in a wide variety of areas in the industry, as designers and planners in public and private practice, and as environmental designers and managers.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Enjoy the outdoors
- Like to draw
- Are interested in the natural environment
- Are creative and imaginative
- Enjoy working with your hands
- Landscape architect
- Landscape contractor
- Community and urban planner
- Landscape construction manager
- Landscape artist
- Confluence Landscape Architecture
- James Valley Nursery and Landscape
- State of South Dakota Conservation Forestry
- United States Forestry Service
- Kerry’s Landscaping
- TerraSite Design. Rapid City, South Dakota
- Confluence. Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- Studio Outside. Dallas, Texas
- Vireo. Omaha, Nebraska
- Ayers Saint Gross. Baltimore, Maryland
Clubs and Organizations
- American Society of Landscape Architects student chapter
- Landscape Architecture Club
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.