Fuel the imagination and inspire creativity.
Art is a critically important part of youth education. It stimulates development, fuels imagination, nurtures self-esteem and builds valuable life skills. In this program, you will build your own artistic talents and prepare to teach studio art and design in schools, community centers, galleries, museums and other art organizations. The Art Education specialization prepares majors for careers as art educators in public and private elementary or secondary schools (K-12). The curriculum prepares students for state licensure through successful completion of the national PRAXIS competency exam. Students pursue a B.F.A. degree, including instruction in specific technical skills, application of theory and conceptual development, and Teacher Education coursework.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Have strong artistic skills
- Enjoy working with children
- Are organized, flexible, and creative
- Are positive and enthusiastic
- Have excellent leadership and communication skills
- Middle school or junior high art teacher
- Elementary art specialist
- High school art teacher
- Summer camp/retreat art program instructor
- Gallery/museum educator
- SD, MN, and IA School Districts
- Graduate School
- Ceramics, Painting, Sculpture or Printmaking
- Experiential Learning
- Museum Studies
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.