- Brookings Main Campus
Prepare to fill a critical role in health care.
The certificate in Phlebotomy prepares students to enter the health care field as phlebotomists. Phlebotomists work in variety of settings including clinical laboratories, hospitals, and community health centers, where they collect blood for donation and analysis. This role is critical in health care as the blood tests are used to diagnose illness, evaluate effectiveness of medications, and determine whether a patient is receiving proper nutrition. Following completion of the certificate, the student would be eligible for certification through the American Society for Clinical Pathology.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Are interested in caring for people's health
- Have strong motor skills
- Have strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Enjoy laboratory work and being part of a team that works behind the scenes in health care
- Able to multi-task and are detail-oriented
- Registered Phlebotomist
- Patient Service Technician (PST)
- Medical Lab Assistant
- Phlebotomy Technician
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA)
- Mobile Examiner
- Laboratory Assistant (Lab Assistant)
- Lab Liaison Technician
- New program in fall 2020