- Brookings Main Campus
Contribute to better health care by providing clues key in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
If you are looking for a career path that marries chemistry, biology, medicine and problem solving, then a degree in medical laboratory science may be a good fit for you. The Medical Laboratory Science program prepares its graduates for employment in hospital or medical laboratories. The curriculum emphasizes basic science, medical laboratory science, critical thinking and communication skills, including structured learning in the laboratories of clinical affiliated laboratories. The program provides the scientific background in hematology, immunohematology, urinalysis, phlebotomy, microbiology, immunology, molecular biology, clinical chemistry and management necessary for a laboratory career.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Enjoy chemistry and biology
- Like solving complex problems
- Are detail-oriented
- Are interested in caring for people's health
- Appreciate working with others, as part of a team
- Clinical medical laboratory scientist
- Clinical specialists (clinical chemistry, hematology, microbiology, immunohematology)
- Clinical researcher
- Avera Health
- Rapid City Regional Hospital
- Sanford Health
- VA Health System
Clubs and Organizations
- Medical Laboratory Science Club
- American Society of Clinical Laboratory Science
- National Lambda Tau Honor Society
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.