Serve as a leader in the Agriculture and Food Industry.
The Leadership Specialization requires courses in leadership skills development, basic science and agriculture. It allows considerable flexibility for students to choose supporting elective courses.
Graduates of the leadership specialization will pursue careers of service to such entities as agricultural commodity organizations, breed associations, community development organizations, government and businesses.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Are involved in 4-H, FFA, or other agricultural activities
- Work well independently and with a team; strong interpersonal communication skills
- Seek flexibility in a program to pursue multiple interests
- Are passionate about community development, ag policy, public service, or non-profit work
- Consider yourself a leader and like to be active in your community
- 4-H Youth Program Coordinator
- Non-profit organizations
- Commodity or Breed Organizations
- American Angus Association
- South Dakota Wheat Growers
- SD, MN, and ND 4-H Extension Services
- First National Bank, Ag Lending
- National Pork Board
- SD Soybean Processors
- SD Department of Education
- Pine Ridge Area Extension
Clubs and Organizations
- Agriculture Future of America (AFA)
- Collegiate FFA/Ag Education Club
- Collegiate 4-H
- Little International
- Ag Communicators of Tomorrow (ACT)
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.