In the United States, most registration boards require a degree from an accredited professional degree program as a prerequisite for licensure. The National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB), which is the sole agency authorized to accredit professional degree programs in architecture offered by institutions with U.S. regional accreditation, recognizes three types of degrees: the Bachelor of Architecture, the Master of Architecture and the Doctor of Architecture. A program may be granted an eight-year, three-year or two-year term of accreditation, depending on the extent of its conformance with established educational standards.
Doctor of Architecture and Master of Architecture degree programs may require a preprofessional undergraduate degree in architecture for admission. However, the preprofessional degree is not, by itself, recognized as an accredited degree.
Current Term of Accreditation
At their July 2019 meeting, the directors of the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) reviewed the Visiting Team Report (VTR) for South Dakota State University. As a result, the professional Master of Architecture degree program was granted an eight-year term of accreditation. The term is effective January 1, 2019, and the program is scheduled for its next visit for continuing accreditation in 2027.
The Architecture Program at SDSU offers the following NAAB-accredited degree programs:
- M. Arch. (pre-professional degree + 48 graduate credits)
- M. Arch. (non-pre-professional degree + 97 credits)
- Next accreditation visit for all programs: 2019
Accreditation in Architecture Education Documents
Interim Progress Reports:
- Because Architecture is recently accredited, no Interim Progress Reports have been submitted.
Recent Decision Letter from NAAB:
Previous Architecture Program Report (APR):
Previous NAAB Visiting Team Report (VTR):
Current Architecture SPC Matrix:
Admissions and Advising
- Apply Now: SDSU Admissions
- Architecture Graduate Admissions
- SDSU Graduate School
- SDSU Disability Services
- Wintrode Student Success and Opportunity Center
- American Indian Student Center
- SDSU Multicultural Center
- Architecture Career Development and Professional Resources