Want to help ensure medicines are safe, fast acting and affordable? Pharmacists play a key role in balancing complex combinations of medications with a patient’s allergies and tolerance. A pharmacist ensures that medications provide healing instead of harm from being administered incorrectly.
One of the top programs in the nation, Pharmacy at SDSU offers a six-year course of study, leading to a Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree. As one of the health professions, pharmacy is concerned with public health and safety, and all activities related to the preparation, distribution, and rational use of medicines. Majoring in pharmacy is an exciting opportunity for anyone who wants to make a significant contribution to the health care needs of our society.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Enjoy math, chemistry and biology
- Like solving complex problems
- Appreciate working with others, as part of a team
- Are interested in caring for people's health
- Want to be at the front lines of an ever-changing field
- Retail Pharmacist
- Clinical Pharmacist
- Hospital Pharmacist
- Clinical Researcher
- Faculty Member
- Avera Health
- Sanford Health
- Mayo Clinic
- VA Health System
- Select a Modern Language (French Studies, German, or Spanish)
- Entrepreneurial Studies
Clubs and Organizations
- American Pharmacists Association - Academy of Student Pharmacists
- Kappa Epsilon Pharmaceutical Fraternity
- Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity
- Phi Lambda Sigma
- Rho Chi Pharmaceutical Honor Society
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.