Help families manage the complexities of work, life, and relationships.
Families in today’s complex global society face many challenges when it comes to relationships, life-work balance, raising children, caring for aging family members, finances, food choices, and housing. As a family and consumer sciences educator, the FCSE graduate is qualified to teach content in a wide range of settings, including in middle and high schools, occupational training programs, adult programs, or to serve as an extension educator. The FCSE program prepares students with comprehensive subject matter background from all areas of family and consumer sciences, contributing to the versatility of the major. The program focuses on characteristics of various learners or clients, learning principles and different applications of the teaching-learning process.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Work well with other people
- Are interested in helping youth and/or adults develop essential skills to successfully live and work
- Want to make a positive difference
- Have strong communication and leadership skills
- Are involved in your community
- Child care center administrator
- Youth services specialist
- Professional development trainer
- Extension educator
- SD, MN, and IA School Districts
- Boys & Girls Club
- Lutheran Social Services
- Youth Summer/Day Camps
- Human Development and Family Studies
- Health Education
- Financial Counseling
- Select a Modern Language (French Studies, German, or Spanish)
Clubs and Organizations
- AAFCS/FCCLA Alumni
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.