In order to receive a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in MLS, a student must successfully complete at least 120 semester credit hours. For the on-campus program, courses and laboratory experiences are completed on the main campus in Brookings. Students also receive real world experience in clinical laboratories in hospitals, clinics and other health care settings. In addition to all of the required courses for the program, the student must complete all university general education requirements.
The Medical Laboratory Science Program accepts up to twenty-four students into the on-campus program. Applicants will be notified of the decision regarding their application in writing.
- November 15 - Current SDSU Medical Laboratory Science Majors (minimum of 12 months as a designated MLS Major)
- February 15 - All other applicants, including transfer students or non-designated majors. Transfer students must be admitted to SDSU prior to applying to the MLS program.
- Any student who anticipates successful completion of the pre-MLS mathematics, science and communication requirements prior to the admission in the fall semester is eligible to apply.
Admission is competitive and will be determined based on the following criteria:
- Submission of cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale of all college work completed at the time of application.
- Grade of "C" or "70%" minimum in all prerequisite courses.
- Completion of prerequisite courses CHEM 106-106L, CHEM 108-108L, BIOL 221-221L, BIOL 325-325L, STAT 281 and course or content equivalencies as approved by the MLS Program Director prior to admission.
- Confirmation of ability to meet the non-academic Essential Functions of the program.
- Completion of an approved background check administered according to program guidelines. Expenses concurred are the student's responsibility.*
- Completion of an interview with the Medical Laboratory Science Admissions Committee.
- Completion of a writing assessment exercise.
*NOTE: An additional background check may be required prior to clinical placement, dependent on clinical affiliate requirements. Students are responsible for all costs associated with background checks.
Application materials checklist
- Documentation of ACT or SAT scores
- One copy of official transcript(s) through fall semester (non-South Dakota Board of Regents students only)
- Willing to appear for an interview at SDSU upon request