Advancing the built environment while preserving natural resources.
If you are intrigued by landmark structures or dream of a career that revolves around meeting the challenging infrastructure needs of modern society while protecting human life and the environment, then civil engineering is a profession to consider. Civil engineers are custodians of the built environment. The field of civil engineering includes the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of the built environment such as airports, bridges, buildings, dams, earth retaining structures, highways, irrigation and drainage systems, river and harbor improvements, water supply and distribution systems, waste water collection and treatment, and other infrastructure facilities.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Have an aptitude in math and science
- Like to design and build infrastructure systems
- Are a creative problem solver
- Are good with technology
- Have strong communication skills
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- Water Resources Engineering
- South Dakota Department of Transportation
- HDR, Inc.
- Kiewit Engineering
- H.R. Green
- Clark Engineering
- Design and consulting firms
- Construction companies
- State departments of transportation
- Federal agencies
- Research programs
Clubs and Organizations
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Water Environment Federation/American Water Works Association
- Chi Epsilon Honor Society
- Engineers Without Borders
- Society of Women Engineers
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.