To make an impact - teaching.
Anything you touch, smell or see contains natural or man-made chemicals. Chemistry is often referred to as the central science because of its strong connections to the other natural sciences and mathematics. Chemistry is therefore an area of study that allows students vast opportunity to explore the unknown and to address some of human society’s most pressing scientific problems. The Chemistry Education program will prepare students for careers in high-quality teaching of chemistry at the secondary/high school level.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Are interested in teaching
- Are interested in the physical sciences
- Have a strong work ethic
- Have an inquisitive mind and are curious about how things work
- Enjoy research
- Graduate school
- SD, MN, and IA School Districts
- Health Science
- Professional Writing
Clubs and Organizations
- Student Affiliates of the American Chemical Society
- Pre-Medical Chapter of the American Medical Student Association
- Pre-Physical and Pre-Occupational Therapy Club
- Pre-Professional Science Club
- National Science Teachers Association
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.