Inspire future generations of agriculturalists.
Agriculture Education graduates are prepared for careers teaching agriculture, food and natural resources content. Graduates will qualify for a secondary teaching certificate and will also be prepared for a variety of careers in the agriculture industry.
Teaching agriculture and providing leadership for a local FFA chapter is a very rewarding and promising profession. A National shortage of agricultural educators, extending to many states across the country, means that numerous positions are available each year.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Interested in teaching agriculture and serving as an FFA Advisor
- Are involved in 4-H, FFA, or other agricultural activities
- Possess strong leadership and communication skills
- Want to make a positive difference in the lives of others and in the future of agriculture; Interested in mentoring or working with youth
- Have an interest in multiple aspects of agriculture
- High School Agricultural Education Teacher
- 4-H Youth Programs
- Extension Services
- Non-profit Organizations
- Ag Sales Representative
- SD, MN, and IA School Districts
- SDSU Extension
- SD Technical Institutes
- Central Valley Cooperative
- SDSU Extension and 4-H
- University of Minnesota Extension
- Pipestone National Monument
- Land O' Lakes
- New Fashion Pork
Suggested Dual Majors
Clubs and Organizations
- Collegiate FFA/Ag Education Club
- Agriculture Future of America (AFA)
- Collegiate 4-H
- Little International
- Block and Bridle
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.