Inspire future generations of agriculturalists.
Agriculture Education graduates are prepared for careers teaching agriculture, food and natural resources content. Graduates will qualify for a secondary teaching certificate and will also be prepared for a variety of careers in the agriculture industry.
Teaching agriculture and providing leadership for a local FFA chapter is a very rewarding and promising profession. A National shortage of agricultural educators, extending to many states across the country, means that numerous positions are available each year.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Interested in teaching agriculture and serving as an FFA Advisor
- Are involved in 4-H, FFA, or other agricultural activities
- Possess strong leadership and communication skills
- Want to make a positive difference in the lives of others and in the future of agriculture; Interested in mentoring or working with youth
- Have an interest in multiple aspects of agriculture
- High School Agricultural Education Teacher
- 4-H Youth Programs
- Extension Services
- Non-profit Organizations
- Ag Sales Representative
- SD, MN, and IA School Districts
- SDSU Extension
- SD Technical Institutes
- Central Valley Cooperative
- SDSU Extension and 4-H
- University of Minnesota Extension
- Pipestone National Monument
- Land O' Lakes
- New Fashion Pork
- Swine Sciences
- Agricultural and Environmental Law
- Animal Science
- Agricultural Business
Clubs and Organizations
- Collegiate FFA/Ag Education Club
- Agriculture Future of America (AFA)
- Collegiate 4-H
- Little International
- Block and Bridle
To learn more specific details about program requirements, view this program in the course catalog.
View the recommended academic plan.
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.