Chapter 33 Benefits

Post 9/11 GI Bill®

If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after September 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharge with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this program. Some of these benefits may be passed to your dependent.

Post 9/11 Benefit Pay Rates

After completion and submission of your application, you will receive a Letter of Eligibility in the mail that will state at which percentage rate you will be paid.

At 100% pay rate:

  • You will receive a monthly living stipend which can be used at your own discretion.
  • Click here to see what your BAH. You will need to add zip code of location where attending school. Rank will always be E-5. BAH pay is the rate, E-5 with dependents.
  • This amount will change and be pro-rated depending upon school holidays i.e. Spring break, Christmas break, etc. The VA only pays for days that SDSU is in session.
  • This money is paid out on the last day of the month and is directly deposited into your bank account that was established on your application.

The living stipend increases every October 1.

  • You will also receive up to $1000/school year for BOOKS. (School year = Summer, Fall and Spring)
  • The book stipend pays $41.67/credit hour, so you can take your credit amount times $41.67 and see what you will receive for that semester.
  • This money is directly deposited into your account (same as stated above) prior to the semester's start.

If your percentage rate is less than 100%, then you will only receive your percentage rate.

  • Example: (70% rate) .7 x $1218 = $852.60 (approx.) so you would receive $852.60 for a living stipend/month.
  • Example: (70% rate) $41.67 x 12 credits = $500.04 then $500.04 x .7 = $350.03 (approx.) so you will receive $350.03 for that semesters book stipend.

Tuition and Fees

The VA does not pay for:

  • Dorm rooms
  • Meal Plans
  • Parking passes
  • Late fees/parking tickets

SD Resident rate:

  • If you are at 100% pay rate, all of your tuition and fees will be paid.
  • If different from 100% pay rate, then tuition and fees will be paid at that percentage rate. You will be required to pay the rest of the amount.

Non-Resident rate:

  • Even if you are at the 100% pay rate there is a difference between out-of-state and in-state tuition rates. You will have to pay the difference in the amount.
  • Non-Resident Veterans can fill out a residency application. This will allow for Non-Resident Veterans to get the in-state tuition rate. Below is the step-by-step instructional on how to apply for residency.
    • Go to the Financial Aid website.
    • Click on “Residency Requirements".
    • Click on “Residency Application” found in the text on right.
    • Fill out all Sections listed.
    • Section “C” is the area where it tells you what documents you need with this application to submit it.
    • Submission information is at the very bottom of application.