Build communities and serve as a leader.
Prepare to lead community-based planning and development for sustainable, economically healthy communities. The major develops students for careers in planning agencies where they can attain positions as city managers and community planners at the city, county, state or regional level. The program also qualifies graduates to hold positions in organizations such as housing agencies, community and neighborhood development corporations, economic development agencies, federal agencies and private development firms and foundations.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Interest in public service
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Have strong leadership, detail, communication and interpersonal skills
- Are curious about how things work and have the ability to think in terms of spatial relationships
- Work well with diverse groups of people
- City/Community planner
- City manager
- Environmental consultant
- Housing authority administrator
- Economic development leader
- New Program in 2016
Clubs and Organizations
- Geography Club
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.