Health Insurance Billing
The Student Health Clinic charges for all services incurred at the clinic and will submit charges to your insurance.
- Provide a current copy of insurance card including front and back of card (a photo of this information is acceptable. The policy holder's full name, address and date of birth.
- Without this information, we are unable to submit the claims to the insurance company. If the insurance information is not received within 3 business days from the date of service, all charges will be posted to the student's account as self-pay.
- Prior to receiving care, students are responsible to contact their insurance company to verify coverage including, but not limited to, determining network status (in-network versus out of network), coverage for services, and referral requirements. It is important to verify this information with the insurance company. If a referral is required, please provide this to Student Health Clinic so visits can be covered as in-network. All questions regarding a specific insurance policy should be directed to the insurance company.
Students will be responsible to pay all co-pays, deductibles, co-insurance, non-covered services, and any out of network services.
The Student Health Clinic DOES NOT accept: Medicaid, Medicare or Workmen’s Compensation.
For billing questions, call 605-688-6900 or 605-688-6018
Domestic Student Insurance
The health insurance marketplace website, www.healthcare.gov, has interactive tools that will assist you in finding an insurance plan that meets your coverage needs and will help you determine if your income level qualifies you for a subsidy
Health Insurance Marketplace - applications, compare plans, enroll, or ask a question 1-800-318-2596
International Student Insurance:
For all foreign national students, BOR Policy 3.14 requires that you have credible health insurance as determined by the SD Board of Regents. You are responsible for purchasing health insurance coverage that meets BOR Policy 3.14 requirements, any federal visa requirements, and IRS regulations.
The South Dakota Board of Regents has identified several health insurance plan design options for you to choose from, the acceptable plans are outlined below. You will be required to provide proof of coverage to your University representative. If you do not provide proof of insurance, you will not be able to enroll in any SD Board of Regents university. However, under limited circumstances, SDBOR may waive this requirement if a student provides adequate proof of coverage by completing the Health Insurance Waiver Request Form.
The following reasons will qualify you for a waiver of the health insurance requirement:
Embassy Sponsored Insurance - Documentation due no later than 10/1.
- Employer Sponsored (including Medical Evacuation and Repatriation)
- ISEP Exchange
- Indefinite Residence
- Provide Documentation of SD Domicile based on Visa Status (defined by BOR)
Proof of coverage is required by the add/drop date, as specified by the academic calendar and should be provided to your international student advisor. If you do not provide proof of coverage you will be withdrawn from enrollment at your university.
South Dakota State University Representative for International Students - Greg Wymer 605-688-4482