Join us Nov. 7, 5-7 pm for a once ever opening reception. Click here to learn more.
Co-curated by John Schuerman and Katayoun Amjadi, 1 Roof 2 Airs shares the artwork of ten US-based artists with personal histories from countries experiencing conflict in the Greater Middle East. Conversations centered on the war rugs exhibition will be expanded through the presentation of work by contemporary artists currently living outside of the conflicts but with deep personal ties to the people and countries affected by it.
- Gazelle Samizay (born in Kabul, Afghanistan, now resides in Los Angeles)
- Lamia Abukhadra (Palestinian American residing in Minneapolis)
- Essma Imady (born and raised in Damascus, Syria)
- Pedram Baldari (born and raised in Iran, Kurdistan)
- Nooshin Hakim Javadi (born in Qazvin, Iran)
- Katayoun Amjadi (born in Iran)
- Ahmad Qais Munhazim (born in Afghanistan)
- Avigail Manneberg (born and raised in Israel)
- Mahwish Chishty (born in Pakistan, grew up in Saudi Arabia)
- Leila Awadallah (born in Sioux Falls, SD, with diasporic Palestinian roots)
November 7 | Opening Reception
5:00 - 7:00 | Reception
5:45 | Live dance performance by Leila Awadallah broadcast from Algeria | Curator remarks by John Schuerman
November 21 | Artists Reception
5:00 - 7:15 | Reception
5:15 | Curator remarks by Katayoun Amjadi | Memoir reading by Qais Munhazim | One of Many live interactive performance by Pedram Baldari and Nooshin Hakim Javadi
Nooshin Hakim Javadi, "Life is the Aggregation of All Moments of Desire"
airplane wings (whole and shredded), plumb-bob, 2017
Essma Imady, "Receiving Blanket"
plush blanket, image of bombed home in Aleppo, 2016
Mahwish Chishty, "Basant Portraits"
paintings: black 2.0 on stainless steel and emergency blankets, 2018-19
Essma Imady, "Fajir Prayers" (detail)
a prayer carpet, 1000 firecrackers, 2018
Lamia Ahbukahdra, "HOW TO SHRIVEL"
photolithography, linen bookbinding tape, vellum, rag paper, 2019
Pedram Baldari, "Variations of Sound, Traveling Between a Barrel and a Heart" (gun barrel flute detail)
video, gun barrel, wood, velvet, hardware, 2019
Lamia Ahbukahdra, Ash Shaab 1948 // 2019
screenprint, monotype, 2019