Taking the first steps toward becoming a veterinarian.
This program prepares you for the next steps in a journey to an exciting and fulfilling career as a veterinarian. You will gain the basic knowledge and skills needed by veterinary students to master all of the fascinating aspects of the medical care of animals. Students in the pre-veterinary program complete coursework that will qualify them to compete successfully for admission to a college of veterinary medicine.
As a veterinarian, you will use your knowledge of science and problem-solving skills to directly help animals, ensure a wholesome and safe food supply, and help protect public and environmental health. Veterinarians have a broad set of skills that make them valuable in clinical, research, educational, and government settings.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Are interested in medical fields
- Enjoy problem solving
- Enjoy working with people
- Enjoy biology and other sciences
- Like to work with livestock and pets
- Animal Disease Research and Diagnostic Laboratory at SDSU (ADRDL)
- Area veterinary clinics and hospitals
- On-campus laboratory research with professors
- Area animal research companies
- SDSU Animal Units (dairy, cow-calf, horse, etc.)
- Animal Science (B.S.) - Science Specialization
- Biology (B.S.)
- Biotechnology (B.S.)
- Dairy Production (B.S.)
- Microbiology (B.S.)
- Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences (B.S.)
- Animal Health
Professional Schools Admitting Graduates
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN)
- Iowa State University (Ames, IA)
- University of Missouri- Columbia (Columbia, MO)
- Colorado State University (Fort Collins, CO)
- Many others
Clubs and Organizations
- Pre-Veterinary Club
- Block and Bridle
- Collegiate 4-H
- Horse Club
- Swine Club
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.