- Brookings Main Campus
The art and science of communication and media.
The Master of Arts in Communication and Media Studies is a broad-based graduate degree for students with an undergraduate degree in communication studies, media studies, or related areas. Coursework emphasizes the intersections of academic and professional approaches to understanding, creating, and evaluating messages across contexts. Core coursework covers the foundations of the communication and media studies disciplines (including relevant theories and methods), explores cross-platform communication, and offers applied coursework in areas such as professional communication, media law, and instructional communication.
School of Communication and Journalism Fast Facts
Number of Students
For-Credit Internships Each Year
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Have an undergraduate degree in Communication Studies, Media Studies, Journalism, Public Relations, Advertising, Marketing, or related program
- Are looking for professional and academic training
- Are curious about why and how communication influences people
- Have an interest in new media
- Have strong communication and leadership skills
- Careers in Higher Education (teaching, advising, recruitment, speech and debate coach)
- Health Communication Specialist
- Social Media Director
- Public Relations
- Further graduate education (PhD, JD, MD)
- Community Relations Director
- Accounts Coordinator
- Communications Specialist
- Corporate Training Specialist