Before you can link a PDF
With the September 1st deadline for making PDFs accessible, the way to update/add a file has changed as well.
- Email an accessible PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We also offer services to make your PDF accessible, should it be approved. This service has a base hourly cost and is available depending on volume for the week.
- Answer these questions to the best of your knowledge in the email.
- What is the purpose of the PDF?
- Are the PDF’s accessible in their current form?
- Information or requirements by a governing body or outside organization that states the information has to be posted as a PDF?
- If there is no requirement, why is it better to post this information as a PDF rather than as a web page?
- Other important information relevant to the request.
- After approval, you will receive a link to your uploaded accessible PDF.
- This link to the file works like any page, you can share it via email, or link it as appropriate in a page.
Steps to Link a PDF
- Login to sdstate.edu.
- Navigate to the page where you want to link your accessible PDF.
- Type out the text for the link in the body of the page, or the breakout box (displays in the sidebar) or a paragraph formatted text field.
- Highlight the text for the link.
- In the toolbar, click the link icon. You can hover your mouse over the icon, and it will say "Link (Ctrl + K)". It looks like a paper clip on its side. The icon to remove a link is next to it and has an x on the icon. CTRL-K also works as a shortcut to add a link to the selected text.
- A box will appear with a bunch of fields to fill out for your link. We are worried about the URL field.
- Copy the URL from the email sent with your link.
- Paste the link in the URL field of the pop-up box.
- Make sure the URL matches the URL sent via email. They need to match.
- Now, if you want a plain link, you can hit save.
- If you want a styled button instead, you can click the word "Advanced" and enter "button" in the CSS Classes field.
- Save the page, and it should show your updated link. Double check by clicking the link and it should display your updated file.
If there are any support questions or suggestions for improvements to this how-to, please email us at email@example.com