Before you can link a PDF
Note: We do not recommend having PDF documents uploaded. PDFs are not mobile-friendly or searchable PDF. A webpage with the same content is a better user experience for all.
To comply with WCAG accessibility requirements and SDSU web governance standards, PDFs need to be fully accessible before adding to the website.
- Email an accessible PDF to websupport.
- We also offer services to make your PDF accessible, should it be approved. This service has a base hourly cost.
- Answer these questions to the best of your knowledge in the email.
- What is the purpose of the PDF?
- Are the PDF’s accessible in their current form?
- Information or requirements by a governing body or outside organization that states the information has to be posted as a PDF?
- If there is no requirement, why is it better to post this information as a PDF rather than as a web page?
- Other important information relevant to the request.
- After approval, you will receive a link to your uploaded accessible PDF.
- This link to the file works like any page, you can share it via email, or link in a page.
Steps to Link a PDF
- Login to sdstate.edu.
- Navigate to the page where you want to link your accessible PDF.
- Type out the text for the link in the body of the page, or the breakout box (displays in the sidebar) or a paragraph formatted text field.
- Highlight the text for the link.
- In the toolbar, click the link icon. You can hover your mouse over the icon, and it will say "Link (Ctrl + K)". It looks like a paper clip on its side. The icon to remove a link is next to it and has an x on the icon. CTRL-K also works as a shortcut to add a link to the selected text.
- A box will appear with a bunch of fields to fill out for your link.
- Copy the URL from the email sent with your link.
- Paste the link in the URL field of the pop-up box.
- Make sure the URL matches the URL sent via email. They need to match.
- Now, if you want a plain link, you can hit save.
- If you want a styled button instead, you can check the box in front of the word button.
- Saving the page: From dropdown next to "Change to:" choose one of the following statuses:
- Ready to Review: If it is ready to be published.
- In progress: If you want to hold on publishing or are still editing.