Office BuildingPugsley Center
Mailing AddressPugsley Cont Ed Center 301
Brookings, SD 57007
BiographySteven Wingate’s works include the novel Of Fathers and Fire, forthcoming from the University of Nebraska Press in 2019, the digital memoir daddylabyrinth, which premiered at the Singapore Art/Science Museum in 2014, and the short story collection Wifeshopping, which won the Bakeless Prize from the Bread Loaf Writers Conference and was published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in 2008. He is associate editor at Fiction Writers Review.
EducationBA in English University of Massachusetts at Boston 1987
MFA in Film/TV (Screenwriting emphasis) Florida State University 1991
Prose poetry and hybrid forms
Academic ResponsibilitiesAcademic advisor for Oakwood, SDSU's literature and arts annual
- Craft of fiction
- Digital narratives
Awards and Honors2007 Bakeless Prize in Fiction, Bread Loaf Writers' Conference for WIFESHOPPING (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2008)
Work ExperiencePRINT BOOKS
* Of Fathers and Fire (University of Nebraska Press Flyover Fiction Series, Lincoln, NE; April 2019). Novel.
* Thirty-One Octets: Incantations and Meditations (WordTech Communications/CW Books, Cincinnati, OH; November 2014). Prose poem collection.
* The Birth of Trigonometry in the Bones of Olduvai (Finishing Line Press, Louisville, KY, October 2013). Prose poem chapbook.
* Wifeshopping (Houghton Mifflin/Mariner Books, Boston; July 2008). Short story collection. Winner of 2007 Bakeless Prize in Fiction from Bread Loaf Writers’ Confernce. (Translated into Bulgarian by Zlatka Paskaleva. Ciela Books, Plovdiv, Bulgaria; June 2012.)
*Love at Elevation. (Choice of Games, Concord, CA; November 2018). Interactive novel/text game. Choice of Games for release in 2018.
* Talk With Your Hands Like an Ellis Island Mutt. Interactive video (2015).
-14th International Digital Media and Arts Association conference exhibition (Winona State University, MN: October 2016).
-Seattle Transmedia and Independent Film Festival (Seattle: July 2016).
-27th Association for Computing Machinery Conference on Hypertext and Social Media, Creative Track Exhibition (Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia: July 2016).
-22nd International Symposium on Electronic Arts (City University of Hong Kong: May 2016). World premiere.
-Electronic Literature Organization conference (University of Bergen, Norway: August 2015). Exhibited as work-in-progress.
* daddylabyrinth: a digital lyric memoir. Interactive nonfiction (2014).
-Hyperrhiz: New Media Cultures (North Carolina State University; Number 18, December 2017; ISSN 1555-9351). Online gallery selection. Issue DOI https://doi.org/10.20415/hyp/018.
-Mix Digital 3 Conference exhibition, Bath Spa University (Bath, UK: July 2015).
-Association for Computing Machinery Computer-Human Interaction “Crossings” conference (Seoul, South Korea: April 2015). Included in inaugural ART.CHI workshop catalog (p. 17-18).
-ArtScience Museum of Singapore, as part of the 7th International Conference on Interactive Digital Storytelling (Singapore: November 2014). World premiere.
-Electronic Literature Organization conference (University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee: June 2014). Exhibited as work-in-progress.