SDSU offers a variety of academic scholarships. Awards are based on academic achievement, participation in activities and leadership.
Apply for scholarships
First-time freshman scholarships are awarded through the Admissions Office. The application for students enrolling for the first time in the Summer 2020 or Fall 2020 semester becomes available on November 1. Priority is given to applications received on or before December 15.
To access the scholarship application for first-time freshman starting in the Fall 2019 or Spring 2020 semester, click on the button below.
Write and attach your personal statement.
Take time to craft a strong personal statement that doesn’t solely highlight or reiterate the activities, awards and recognitions that you have already included on your scholarship application. Speak to:
- Your interest in SDSU and why you see it as a good fit.
- Your academic interests.
- Your career goals and how you envision your program at SDSU getting you there.
- Your interests at SDSU for participation in student organizations, clubs or activities.
- More information about special experiences or recognition during your high school years that you want us to know more about.
- Any special circumstances or personal hardships you have encountered that you’d like us to consider through our scholarship process.
Attach a letter of recommendation.
Ask someone who knows you well to write a letter of recommendation for you. That person can be a teacher, school counselor, principal or other knowledgeable school official who can address your academic ability and potential for success.