Join us Nov. 21, 5-7:15 pm for an Artists Reception for 1 Roof 2 Airs featuring a unique program in the gallery beginning at 5:15 (earlier than the usual 5:45 talk):
- Curator remarks by co-curator, Katayoun Amjadi
- Memoir reading by Qais Munhazim
- One of Many live interactive performance by Pedram Baldari and Nooshin Hakim Javadi
Light appetizers and refreshments will be served throughout the evening. Seating will be provided in the gallery for the program.
Co-curated by John Schuerman and Katayoun Amjadi, 1 Roof 2 Airs shares the artwork of ten US-based artists with personal histories from countries experiencing conflict in the Greater Middle East. Conversations centered on the war rugs exhibition will be expanded through the presentation of work by contemporary artists currently living outside of the conflicts but with deep personal ties to the people and countries affected by it. The artists joining us for this reception come from a variety of countries originally, now living in the U.S.:
- Katayoun Amjadi (born in Iran), her piece "Brick – Break – Bread" is on display and she is the co-curator of 1 Roof 2 Airs
- Qais Munhazim (born in Afghanistan)
- Pedram Baldari (born and raised in Iran, Kurdistan), his Variations of Sounds, Traveling Between a Barrel and a Heart includes a gun barrel instrument on display and video of musicians playing various gun barrel instruments
- Nooshin Hakim Javadi (born in Qazvin, Iran), her airplane wing piece, Life is the Aggregation of All Moments of Desire is on display
Parking is available without a pass in the museum's reserved parking just west of the museum on Harvey Dunn Street (in front of Scobey Hall) and in university lots after 4:00 p.m. Parking is also available on the street on Harvey Dunn Street. Handicapped parking is available on the north side of Harvey Dunn St. just west of Medary Ave. and in the S.D. Art Museum parking lot.