Office BuildingBerg Agricultural Hall
Mailing AddressBerg Agricultural Hall 244
Agronomy, Horticulture & Plant Science-Box 2207A
Brookings, SD 57007
BiographyAs head of the Department of Agronomy, Horticulture and Plant Science, I provide the vision, leadership and strategic direction and oversight in teaching, research and extension. I advocate for faculty, staff and leadership throughout the College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Sciences. I lead the recruitment, development and retention of faculty and staff as well as the growth of academic, research and outreach programs. I foster relations with industry, government and alumni for the benefit of the university and its programs. I also secure and nurture existing public/private partnerships in the pursuit of leveraging resources. I am responsible for representing the department throughout South Dakota, the region and nationally. Within the department, I foster an environment of collaboration and success through positive mentoring and thoughtful leadership.
CVWright, David CV.pdf
EducationDoctor of Philosophy in Agronomy, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas, 1991.
Master of Science in Agronomy, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 1986.
Bachelor of Science in Agronomy, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 1982.
Academic Interests/ExpertiseAcademic and Organizational Leadership
Academic ResponsibilitiesPS119 - Freshman Seminar
- Sustainable Agriculture Production
- Soybean and Corn Production
Awards and HonorsProfessional awards and recognition
• Experiment Station Excellence in Multistate Research Award. 2012. Team award given to NCERA 208 (Response to Emerging Threat: Soybean Rust). Awarded by State Agricultural Experiment Stations. Denver, CO.
• Entomology Education Project Award. 2012. Team award for the Field Crops Insects Management Compendium. Bestowed by the Entomological Society of America.
• Entomology Education Project Award. 2012. Team award for the Soybean Aphid Management Field Guide, 2nd Edition. Bestowed by the Entomological Society of America.
• International IPM Award of Excellence. 2012. Team award for Soybean Rust-Pest Information Platform for Extension and Education (PIPE). Bestowed by the Entomological Society of America, at the 7th International IPM Symposium, Memphis, TN.
• Integrated Pest Management Team Award. 2009. Bestowed by the Entomological Foundation, Lanham, MD for NCSRP’s role in research and grower education of the soybean aphid.
• Experiment Station Excellence in Multistate Research Award. 2009. Team award given to S-1039 (Biology, Impact and Management of Soybean Insect Pests in Soybean Production Systems). Awarded by State Agricultural Experiment Stations Directors.
• Best Extension Publication. 2009. Soybean Aphid Management Field Guide. Bestowed by the Entomological Society of America, North Central Division.
Personal awards and recognition
• Recognition for leadership in soybean research that resulted in increased profitability to Minnesota soybean farmers. 2013. Recognized by the Minnesota Soybean Research and Promotion Council & the Minnesota Soybean Growers Association.
• Henry A. Wallace Award for Outstanding Contributions to International Agriculture in Writing, Teaching, Research & Leadership. 2009. Bestowed by the Iowa State University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
GrantsTotal Competitive Grand Funding: $46,621,181
Professional Memberships• American Society of Agronomy - Member for 25 years
• American Phytopathology Society
• Entomological Society of America
• Crop Science Society of America - Member for 30 years
• Weed Science Society of America - Member for 25 years