Office BuildingBerg Agricultural Hall
Mailing AddressBerg Agricultural Hall 210
Agronomy, Horticulture & Plant Science-Box 2207A
Brookings, SD 57007
BiographyDr. Cheryl Reese teaches the crop production courses Corn Production, PRAG 426/526; Soybean Production, PRAG 425/525, and Wheat Production, PRAG 424/524, ABS 475 Integrated Natural Resource Management, and PS 213 Soils Lab. Dr. Reese conducts research in cover crops, agronomic tools to manage degraded soils, and using remote sensing to determine in-season nitrogen applications for wheat.
Dr. Reese completed her undergraduate degree with a biology and chemistry with a secondary science education license at University of Minnesota, Morris. She completed a Master of Science in Horticulture from the University of Minnesota, St. Paul and a Doctor of Philosophy in Agronomy from South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD.
Dr. Reese is from west central MN area and has a farm background. Her family spends weekends working on the family farm in the spring and fall. This unique background provides for current topics and issues presented in the crop production courses.
Favorite past-times include spending time with her family and dogs, fly fishing in the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming, camping in Wyoming and Montana, and visiting the Caribbean.
EducationPh. D. Agronomy, South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD. Dissertation Title: Nitrogen and water impacts on hard red spring wheat (Triticum aestivum) yield, quality, canopy reflectance, and income in South Dakota. Brookings, SD.
M.S. Horticulture, University of Minnesota, St. Paul, MN. Thesis: Effect of temperature and light on flowering of Pharbitis nil (Japanese Morning Glory), St. Paul.
B.A. Major: Biology; Minor: Chemistry; Secondary Science Education Certification in MN and SD. University of Minnesota, Morris.
Academic ResponsibilitiesPRAG 426/526 Corn Production
PRAG 425/525 Soybean Production
PRAG 424/524 Wheat Production
PS 213 Soils Lab
ABS 475 Integrated Natural Resource Management
Committee Activities• South Dakota Soil Water Conservation Society Scholarship Committee, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Soils, Management of Saline and Sodic Soils,
- On-Farm Research
- Soybean and Corn Production
- Wheat Production
Extension ResponsibilitiesEach summer, meetings are planned in the area where current farm research is on-going. These meetings are in collaboration with many state crop and federal land management agencies.
Awards and Honors• Malo Teaching Excellence Award, December 2017
• Honors Medallion Ceremony Adviser Recognition from Advisee, May 2017
• Farmhouse Fraternity Professor Supper, November 2017 and 2016
• 2010 Agronomy and Conservation Club, College of Agricultural and Biological Science Teacher of the Year Award.
• Patriotic Employer, The National Committee for the Employer of Support of the Guard and Reserve, 2009
Grants1. Daigh, A., Gasch, A. Wick, D. Ripplinger, T. DeSutter, D. Ritchison, D.E. Clay, S.A. Clay, C. Reese. 2017-2021. Cover crops and no-tillage enhance soil water management in frigid northern Great Plains soils. National USDA NRCS-CIG Grant.
2. Clay, D.E., S.A. Clay, L. Perkins, A. Smart, S. Marzano, C. Reese, D. Malo. 2017-2021. Seeding Northern Great Plains degraded saline/sodic Soils to perennial plants. National USDA NRCS-CIG Grant.
3. Clay, D.E. S.A. Clay, C. Strunk, A. Bly, P. Sexton, T. Nleya, S. Bruggeman, G. Riecks, J. Kleinjan, J. Wu, D. Karki, R. Beck, S. Berg, C. Reese, and D. Beck. 2017. Achieving 100 Bu/A soybean yields: on-farm research and sharing high yield protocols with South Dakota soybean producers. South Dakota Soybean Research and Promotion Council.
4. Clay, D.E., S.A. Clay, C. Strunk, A. Bly, P. Sexton, T. Nleya, S. Bruggeman, G. Riecks, J. Kleinjan, J. Wu, D. Karki, R. Beck, S. Berg, C. Reese, and D. Beck. 2016. Achieving 100 Bu/A soybean yields: on-farm research and sharing high yield protocols with South Dakota soybean producers. South Dakota Soybean Research and Promotion Council
5. Clay, D.E., S.A. Clay, C. Strunk, A. Bly, C.L. Reese. 2015. Achieving 100 Bu/A soybean yields: developing, testing, and sharing high yield protocols with South Dakota soybean producers. South Dakota Soybean Board.
6. Clay. D.E., C.G. Carlson, S.A. Clay, C.L. Reese, and D.D. Malo. 2015‐2016. Optimizing corn production in tile‐drained salt effected South Dakota soils. South Dakota Corn Utilization Council.
7. Clay, D.E., N. Kitchen, S.A. Clay, B. Arnall, J. Clay‐Olsen, K. Shannon, S. Fausti, L. Schumacher, D. Malo, C.L. Reese, R. Ferguson, B. Erickson, and R. Khosla. 2014‐2018. Precision farming workforce development: standards, working groups, and experiential learning curricula. USDA‐AFRI‐HCGP.
8. Clay. D.E., C.G. Carlson, S.A. Clay, C.L. Reese, and D.D. Malo. 2014-2015. Optimizing corn production in tile-drained salt effected South Dakota soils. South Dakota Corn Utilization Council.
9. Clay, D., Beck, C. Reese, C.G. Carlson, and S.A. Clay. 2012-2006. Wheat Quality as Influenced by Cultural and Climatic Interactions. SD Wheat Commission.
Professional Memberships• Member of Tri-societies, Agronomy Society of America, Crop Science Society of America, and Soil Science Society of America.
• Certified Crop Advisor license (CCA), 2015-present
• Professional Soil Scientists Association of South Dakota (PSSASD) Vice President, 2013, 2014 and member 2015-present
Work Experience• 2018: Senior Lecturer, Plant Science Depart., South Dakota State University
• 2012 –2017: Lecturer, Plant Science Depart., South Dakota State University
• 2016-2017: New Student Orientation Faculty Advisor, Summer Registration Sessions, South Dakota State University
• 2010 – 2012: Research Associate III / Instructor, Plant Science Depart., South Dakota State University
Creative Activities• CERES Women’s Fraternity Advisor, 2012, 2013, 2014
Area(s) of ResearchCurrent Area of Research:
Management of degraded saline and sodic soils in South Dakota.
Applications of ResearchResearch studies are designed at farm sites with farmer-collaborators to evaluate methods to improve soil quality in areas where salts are naturally elevated.
Image for Department of Agronomy, Horticulture & Plant Science