In 2019, the SDBOR assigned the design and implementation of general education assessment plans to each individual institution. To accomplish this, the SDSU General Education Sub-committee was assigned to develop the SDSU General Education Assessment Plan.
The SDSU General Education Sub-committee of the SDSU Academic Affairs Committee is responsible for providing leadership and management of general education. More specifically, the sub-committee (as stated in the Academic Affairs Committee Charter):
- Reviews general education requirements and recommends revisions as appropriate,
- Organizes and coordinates efforts to inform students and faculty of the nature, purpose and value of the System General Education Requirements (SGR),
- Periodically reviews the goals/criteria for inclusion of courses,
- Establishes procedures and reviews requests for course additions to the SGR, and
- Conducts a 5-year rotating review of courses and educational experiences listed under the SGR.
The membership of the SDSU General Education Sub-Committee includes college representatives from all academic colleges: Agriculture, Food & Environmental Sciences, Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences, Education and Human Sciences, Engineering, Natural Sciences, Nursing, Pharmacy & Allied Health Professions. Members also include a representative from H. M. Briggs Library and the First Year Advising Center. The Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education, Assistant Vice President of Institutional Research & Assessment, and Office of Academic Affairs Curriculum and Catalog Coordinator serve as Ex Officio members. One of the college representatives serves as a liaison to the SDSU Academic Affairs Committee.