TitleAssociate Dean for Academic Programs/Associate Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Office BuildingAvera Health & Science Center
Mailing AddressAvera Health & Science 133B
Pharmaceutical Sciences-Box 2202C
Brookings, SD 57007
EducationPh.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences, South Dakota State University, 2007
Pharm.D., SDSU, 2004
B.S. in Pharmaceutical Sciences, SDSU, 2002
Academic ResponsibilitiesPathophysiology, Pharmacology & Toxicology I (PHA 352)
Pathophysiology, Pharmacology & Toxicology II (PHA 353)
Pathophysiology, Pharmacology & Toxicology III (PHA 453)
Pathophysiology, Pharmacology & Toxicology IV (PHA 454)
Integrated Pharmacy Laboratory I (PHA 326L)
Integrated Pharmacy Laboratory II (PHA 426L)
Awards and HonorsSouth Dakota State University College of Pharmacy Teacher of the Year (2006, 2020)
College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions Excellence in Teaching Award (2018)
SDSU Woman of Distinction Award - Faculty Category (2016)
Edward Patrick Hogan Award for Teaching Excellence (2014)
College of Pharmacy Community Engagement Award (2014)
American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Academic Leadership Fellows Program (2010-2011)
South Dakota Board of Regents Excellence in eLearning Award (Best Overall) (2007)
Professional MembershipsAmerican Pharmacists Association
American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
American Chemical Society
American Heart Association
Area(s) of ResearchRegulation of thiol redox state in cardiomyocytes
Development of models of thiol oxidative stress in cardiomyocytes
1. Guan X, Dwivedi C, Kim SY, Fine T, Ratzsch A, Seefeldt T, Peitz G, Zhang Z. Mercapturic acid biosynthesis of 1-chloro-2,4-dinitrobenzene in rat kidney. Current Topics in Toxicology. 2004, 1, 153-160.
2. Seefeldt T, Dwivedi C, Peitz G, Herman J, Carlson L, Zhang Z, Guan X. 2-Acetylamino-3-
propionic acid and its derivatives as a novel class of glutathione reductase inhibitors. J Med Chem. 2005, 48, 5224-5231.
3. Chen W, Zhao Y, Seefeldt T, Guan X. Determination of thiols and disulfides via HPLC quantification of 5-thio-2-nitrobenzoic acid. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2008, 48, 1375-1380.
4. Seefeldt T, Zhao Y, Chen W, Carlson L, Herman J, Stoebner A, Hanson S, Foll R, Guan X. Characterization of a novel dithiocarbamate glutathione reductase inhibitor and its use as a tool to modulate intracellular glutathione. J Biol Chem. 2009, 284, 2729-2737.
5. Zhao Y, Seefeldt T, Chen W, Wang X, Matthees D, Hu Y, Guan X. Effects of glutathione reductase inhibition on cellular thiol redox and related systems. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2009, 485, 56-62.
6. Zhao Y, Seefeldt T, Chen W, Carlson L, Stoebner A, Hanson S, Foll R, Matthees DP, Palakurthi S, Guan X. Increase in thiol oxidative stress via glutathione reductase inhibition as a novel approach to enhance cancer sensitivity to X-ray irradiation. Free Radic Biol Med. 2009, 47, 176-183.
7. Bennett L and Seefeldt T. The role of antioxidants on oxidative stress in diabetes mellitus. J Pharm Technol. 2010, 26, 293-299.
8. Chen W, Seefeldt T, Young A, Zhang X, Guan X. Design, synthesis and biological evaluation of N-acetyl-S-(p-chlorophenylcarbamoyl) cysteine (NACC) and its analogs as a novel class of anticancer agents. Bioorg Med Chem. 2011, 19, 287-294.
9. Seefeldt T and Bennett L. The role of antioxidant vitamins in cardiovascular disease. J Pharm Technol. 2011, 27, 19-26.
10. Bennett L, Rojas S, Seefeldt T. The role of antioxidants in the prevention of malignant disorders. Journal of Experimental and Clinical Medicine. 2012, 4, 215-222.
11. Seefeldt T, Mort J, Brockevelt B, Giger J, Jordre B, Lawler M, Nilson W, Svien L. A pilot study of interprofessional case discussions for health professions students using the virtual world Second Life. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2012, 4, 224-231.
12. Chen W, Seefeldt T, Young A, Zhang X, Zhao Y, Ruffolo J, Kaushik RS, Guan X. Microtubule S-glutathionylation as a potential approach for antimitotic agents. BMC Cancer. 2012, 12, 245.
13. Sadhu S, Callegari E, Zhao Y, Guan X, Seefeldt T. Evaluation of a dithiocarbamate derivative as an inhibitor of human glutaredoxin-1. J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem. 2013, 28, 456-462.
14. Xie J, Potter A, Xie W, Lynch C, Seefeldt T. Evaluation of a dithiocarbamate derivative as a model of thiol oxidative stress in H9c2 rat cardiomyocytes. Free Radic Biol Med. 2014, 70, 214-222.
15. Mort J, Strain J, Helgeland D, Seefeldt T. Perceived impact of a longitudinal leadership program for all pharmacy students. Innovations in Pharmacy. 2014, 5(3), 1-11.
16. Sadhu SS, Wang S, Averineni RK, Seefeldt T, Yang Y, Guan X. In vitro and in vivo inhibition of melanoma growth and metastasis by the drug combination of celecoxib and dacarbazine. Melanoma Res. 2016, 26(6), 572-579.
17. Sadhu SS, Wang S, Averineni RK, Seefeldt T, Xie J, Tummala H, Guan X. In vitro and in vivo anti-metastatic effect of glutathione disulfide liposomes. Cancer Growth and Metastasis. 2017, 10, 1-11.
18. Meyer BA, Seefeldt TM, Ngorsuraches S, Hendrickx LD, Lubeck PM, Farver DK, Heins JR. Interprofessional education in pharmacology using high-fidelity simulation. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2017, 9, 1055-1062.
19. Dachineni R, Kumar DR, Callegari E, Kesharwani S, Seefeldt T, Tummala H, Bhat GJ. Salicylic acid metabolites and derivatives inhibit CDK activity: a novel insight into aspirin's chemopreventive effects against colorectal cancer. Int J Oncol. 2017, 51, 1661-1673.
20. Sankaranarayanan R, Valiveti CK, Kumar DR, Van Slambrouck S, Kesharwani S, Seefeldt T, Scaria J, Tummala H, Bhat GJ. The flavonoid metabolite 2,4,6-trihydroxybenzoid acid is a CDK inhibitor and an anti-proliferative agent: a potential role in cancer prevention. Cancers, 2019, 11(3), 427.
21. Lee JW, Wang S, Huang Y, Seefeldt T, Donkor A, Logue BA, Woyengo TA. Toxicity of canola-derived glucosinolates in pigs fed resistant starch-based diets. J Anim Sci. 2020, 98(5), skaa111.