The Human Development and Family Services program involves the study of lifespan development in the context of family, community and society. The Human Development and Family Services major prepares students for careers assisting prevention specialists, advocates, and educators working with children and families. Graduates are employable in schools, hospitals, clinics, childcare facilities, and non-profit organizations.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Enjoy working as part of a team
- Are interested in the complexity of human relationships
- Want to make a difference in people's lives
- Have strong communication skills
- Are involved in your community
- Human service specialist
- Prevention specialist aide
- Care specialists
- Youth caseworker/Aide
- Teaching aide
- Lutheran Social Services in Sioux Falls
- Boys and Girls Club
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.