Mrs. John C. Schlomer was born Hannah Lemke, on a farm near Milwaukee, Wisconsin on April 9, 1887. In 1894 she moved with her parents to a farm near Bowdle, Edmunds County, South Dakota. Here she completed her grade school education. On November 9, 1904, she was married to John Schlomer.
For the first twelve years after they were married, John ran the municipal light and power plant in Bowdle while Hannah began the big job of raising her family. In 1916 they bought the farm one and one-half miles south of Glenham, and in the following spring, they moved into their new farm home.
Fourteen children were born to the Schlomers. In spite of the large amount of work involved in raising a large family, Mrs. Schlomer found time for numerous outside community activities. She has been an active member of the Lutheran Church in Glenham, South Dakota. She taught Sunday School for several years and was active in the Ladies’ Aid. At all times she has encouraged her children to take part in church activities.
She still is active in the Glenham Harmony club which she joined in 1924. She likes handiwork, baking and other homemaking activities. Flowers afford another hobby that has brought a lot of additional color to the Schlomer home. She usually has flowers in bloom in the house throughout the year.
Farm life for the Schlomer family was pleasant. They had their own thirty-two volt light plant since 1924. The big stock water dam, eighty rods long and twelve feet deep, was built in 1920. It provided fishing, swimming and skating facilities for neighbors and the whole family.
The Schlomers now live in a completely remodeled home in Glenham and look forward to the times when their children write or come home with their youngsters.