South Dakota Opportunity Scholarship
Amount: $6,500 total, distributed over the course of four years
Eligibility: Must be a resident of South Dakota; have ACT composite or superscore of 24 or SAT score of 1180; complete specific high school curriculum requirements with no grade below a “C”; and cumulative HS GPA of at least 3.0.
To apply: Applications can be found on the South Dakota Opportunity Scholarship site.
Dakota Corps Scholarship
Amount: Amount will vary – typically equal annually to full tuition and fees.
Eligibility: Must be a resident of South Dakota; U.S Citizen or U.S national; have ACT composite score of 27; graduate from an accredited South Dakota high school with a GPA of at least 2.8; commitment to work in South Dakota in an identified critical need profession. More details can be found on the Dakota Corp Scholarship Program site.
To apply: Applications can be found on the Dakota Corps Scholarship Program site.
Horatio Alger Denny Sanford Scholarship
The Horatio Alger Denny Sanford Scholarship provides 25 awards at $10,000 each to be disbursed throughout a student’s collegiate career. Like all Horatio Alger Scholarships, the Horatio Alger Denny Sanford Scholarship assists high school students who have faced great obstacles in their young lives to overcome their adversities, attend a post-secondary institution and achieve success. To be eligible for the Horatio Alger Denny Sanford Scholarship a student must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled full-time as a high school senior in the United States with plans to enter South Dakota State University no later than the fall semester following graduation.
- Exhibit a strong commitment to pursue and complete a bachelor's degree at South Dakota State University.
- Demonstrate critical financial need ($55,000 or lower adjusted gross family income is required).
- Be involved in co-curricular and community service activities.
- Display integrity and perseverance in overcoming adversity.
- Hold a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.5.
- Be a United States citizen.
Application dates are August 1 - October 25, 2020 and January 15 - March 16, 2021. Students may apply at application.horatioalger.org and click on the high school senior application. If an application was started in the fall and not completed, the student will need to e-mail email@example.com to reset their application to this cycle.
The Hatterscheidt Scholarship will be awarded to five current seniors graduating from South Dakota high schools as a one-year award valued at $2,000. To be eligible for the Hatterscheidt Scholarship, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a South Dakota Resident; graduating from a SD high school.
- Must show financial need and must apply for Federal Student Aid.
- Must have average minimum high school GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Must be admitted to South Dakota State University for fall semester following graduation.
- Must plan to be a full time, main campus student planning to take a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester.
The 2021-22 application will be available in November 2020. If you have questions, please email Lisa Schramm to secure the appropriate application. The deadline to apply for this scholarship is March 15, 2021.
Visit the Department of Education's Federal Student Aid webpage for additional credible scholarship information. Students can find additional non-SDSU scholarship information at FastWeb, Scholarships.com and Good Call.