Freshman Admission Requirements
For admission to SDSU, we look for one of the following academic achievements:
- An 18 ACT composite score or SAT Math and Reading/Writing subscore total of 950 or
- Level 3 or higher on Math and English Language Arts Smarter Balance Assessment or
- A high school cumulative GPA of 2.6 or higher or
- A ranking in the top 60 percent of graduating class.
Students should also complete the following core courses with a “C” average or above:
- 4 years of English (or ACT English subscore of 18 or above).
- 3 years of advanced math—Algebra I and higher (or ACT math subscore of 20).
- 3 years of laboratory science (or ACT science reasoning subscore of 17).
- 3 years of social science (or ACT reading subscore of 17).
- 1 year of fine arts (or AP Fine Arts score of 3 or above) Includes vocal, instrumental and studio arts.
- Basic computer skills (students should have basic keyboarding, word processing, spreadsheet and internet skills).
What to submit:
- Admission application
- $20 application fee (Skip this if you’ve already attended any South Dakota public university, including SDSU, within the last year.)
- Final, official high school transcript (Don’t send this yourself; we need to receive it directly from your school.)
- Official ACT or SAT score report (If these are on your high school transcript, that’s perfect.)
- Official post-secondary transcripts (If you've enrolled in high school dual credit classes.)
Home Schooled or Nonaccredited High School Students
Home-schooled applicants under the age of 18 are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Students who are home schooled or attend a nonaccredited high school must submit an official transcript and ACT or SAT scores for review. An ACT composite score of 18 or higher and the following subtest scores are required for admission:
- English – 18 or higher
- Math – 20 or higher
- Reading – 17 or higher
- Science Reasoning – 17 or higher
SAT Math and Reading/Writing subscores must total 950 or higher.
Non-High School Graduates
To be admitted to SDSU students must be at least 18 years of age. Applicants who did not graduate from high school must meet one of the following requirements:
- Complete the General Educational Development (GED) test with the following minimum test scores:
- Scores earned since January 1, 2014: Reach a score of at least 145 on each subject and a total score of 580 or higher across all four subjects;
- Scores earned before January 1, 2014: Reach a score of at least 150 on each subject and a total score of 600 or higher across all four subjects; or
- Complete the High School Equivalency Test (HiSET) and obtain a minimum score of 15 on each of the five subsections; or
- Complete the Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) and obtain a minimum score of 500 on each of the five subtest categories.