The Faculty Senate is an elected body that develops and disseminates ideas for University improvement,
engages in ongoing communication with the SDSU administration, contributes to the formation of
general University policy, and performs those duties and functions especially allocated to or assumed by
the faculty, subject to the limitations imposed by the laws of the State of South Dakota and the rules of
the South Dakota Board of Regents (BOR).
Membership consists of the following:
The term "faculty members", for the purpose of this Constitution, shall mean persons holding the rank of
instructor, assistant professor, associate professor, or professor with the following exceptions:
- All emeritus personnel.
- All faculty personnel beyond retirement age who receive limited stipends.
- All county extension service personnel.
- All faculty solely on adjunct or emergency temporary status,
- All career service personnel.
There will be 1 senator for every 20 FTE faculty in each faculty electoral unit with a minimum of one senator per unit. Faculty electoral units are all the Colleges and the Library.
- Agriculture, Food and Environmental Sciences
- Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- Education and Human Sciences
- Pharmacy & Allied Health Professions
- Briggs Library