Be Great. Sport and Recreation Leaders Start Here.
Sport and Recreation Management professionals are needed to meet recreation demands resulting from expanding populations, increased leisure time, greater mobility and changing social attitudes. The curriculum in Sport and Recreation Management is designed to prepare students for professional positions in sport, recreation, parks and outdoor recreation programming and administration. Students interested in sport and recreation management can find a variety of career opportunities including community recreation, federal, state and municipal governmental agencies, private outdoor and tourism enterprises as well as intercollegiate athletic departments and minor and major league sport teams. Students interested in municipal and county recreation agencies, YMCA/YWCAs, Boys and Girls Clubs, college/professional sports, fitness/facility management organizations, and therapeutic recreation in clinical as well as community settings, can focus their interests using additional recreation, marketing, accounting, economics, social media, management, entrepreneur, and leadership elective courses. This major is based on interdisciplinary approach providing a broad, comprehensive background for leadership and administrative roles in sport and recreation industries. It also provides students a foundation for advanced academic pursuits of a graduate degree in sport or recreation administration or related degree programs.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Lead an active and healthy lifestyle
- Work well with people of all ages
- Enjoy the outdoors
- Like to play sports
- Are organized and a leader
- Recreation & activities director
- Park manager
- Sport/Recreation facility management
- Sport event management
- College athletic department or campus recreation (graduate school required)
- Parks, Recreation & Forestry City of Brookings, SD
- Parks and Recreation Sioux Falls, SD
- South Dakota Game Fish and Parks
- Municipal Park and Recreation Programs
- SDSU Athletic Department
- SDSU Wellness Center
- State of South Dakota, Game Fish and Parks
Clubs and Organizations
- Sport Recreation and Park Management Club
- HEROH (Helping Everyone Reach Optimal Health)
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.