South Dakota State University
Dr. April Brooks Women of Distinction and Ally Awards
In celebration of Women’s History Month in March, SDSU’s Women, Gender, & Sexuality Studies program announces the annual Dr. April Brooks Women of Distinction and Ally Awards. These awards recognize the outstanding accomplishments of women and allies who promote opportunities for historically marginalized groups at South Dakota State University, including through community activism and service.
Five women and one ally will be honored every year. The nomination deadline is at the end of February, with the reception to be held sometime during the month of March.
Women of Distinction Awards
Nominations are open to women in the following roles:
- Professional Staff/NFE
- Civil Service Staff
We are pleased to announce the Ally Award. Nominations for this award are open to any person or organization, on or off campus, who demonstrate(s) a commitment to supporting the mission of the WGSS program: to educate our university and the public on issues related to gender and sexuality, through innovative curricula, research, and outreach.
All nominees will be recognized, and winners will be formally announced at the annual Dr. April Brooks Women of Distinction Awards Presentation and Reception, typically held during the month of March.
Please adhere to the word count/page limit for each component; applications that do not follow the word count/page limit will not be considered for the award.
- Nomination or self-nomination letter (300-600 words)
- One letter of support (300-600 words)
- Resume or brief CV (no more than three pages) outlining the nominee’s qualifications for this award
The nomination and support letters should:
- Name the category for which the nominee is being nominated (administration, professional staff/NFE, faculty, civil service staff, student, or ally).
- Explain why the nominee merits consideration for this award. Please discuss specific examples of the nominee’s accomplishments and their impact on the campus and/or community.
Submit nominating materials electronically as a single attachment to Rebecca.Kuehl@sdstate.edu. If you do not receive a confirmation email within 24 hours from submission, please resubmit via email.