South Dakota State University
Dr. April Brooks Awards in Women, Gender, & Sexuality Studies
In celebration of Women’s History Month in March, the SDSU Women, Gender, & Sexuality Studies (WGSS) Coalition announces the annual Dr. April Brooks Awards in Women, Gender, & Sexuality Studies.
These awards recognize the outstanding accomplishments of individuals or organizations, on or off campus, who promote equity in gender and/or sexuality.
Individual nominees could include undergraduate or graduate students, faculty, civil service staff, professional staff, administrators, or community members. Nominated organizations could include groups on or off campus.
Some of the ways that individuals or organizations promote equity include through the following: education; research, scholarship or creative activity; activism; civic or community engagement; service or outreach; leadership; and mentorship.
Nominees should advance the mission of the WGSS program at SDSU: to educate our university and the public on issues related to gender and sexuality, through innovative curricula, research, and/or outreach.
Awards Presentation Details:
Winners will be formally announced at the Dr. April Brooks Awards Presentation Ceremony, which will be held in March.
Please adhere to the word count/page limit for each component; applications that do not follow the word count/page limit will not be considered for the award.
- Nomination or self-nomination letter (300-600 words)
- One letter of support (300-600 words)
- Resume or brief CV (no more than three pages) outlining the nominee’s qualifications for this award
The nomination and support letters should:
- Describe how the nominee promotes equity in gender and/or sexuality, on or off campus, including specific examples of how their work meets the mission of WGSS (see above);
- Explain why the nominee merits consideration for this award, discussing specific examples of their accomplishments and their impact on the campus and/or community.
Submit nominating materials electronically as a single attachment to Rebecca.Kuehl@sdstate.edu. If you do not receive a confirmation email within 24 hours from submission, please resubmit via email.