Use those hours of studying to help fellow students
Have you discovered how make classifications in your biology course or found the best way to memorize Newton’s laws of motion? If so, and you’re ready to help others learn, check out the Wintrode Tutoring Program.
As a tutor, you can enhance your communication and leadership skills. Plus, the experience looks great on a resume. Your responsibilities will include:
- participating in training courses,
- preparing for sessions,
- creating a plan to fit students’ needs,
- assisting students to understand course content and develop effective learning strategies, and
- assessing the students’ progress.
For more detailed information, view the tutor job description.
Why is certification important?
Certification is accredited through the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA).
- It provides recognition and positive reinforcement for your successful work from an international organization.
- It sets a standard of skills and training for tutors.
- It allows our program to certify all tutors who meet the criteria.
Levels of Certification
- Level I (ACS 282) = Regular
- Level II (ACS 382) = Advanced
- Level III (ACS 482) = Master
Not only can this experience help you prepare for a career, but you can earn extra money to pay for your college expenses. The starting wage is $9.30/hour. When you complete the training courses and accumulate enough hours, you will become eligible for pay increases with each level of certification earned.
Applying to be a Tutor is simple. Just fill out the Tutor Application and provide two confidential recommendation forms (next slide).
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact us at SDSU.Tutoring@sdstate.edu or 605-688-4155.
Tutor Reference Form
In addition to the Tutor Application, you must provide two confidential recommendation forms. One of the forms must be from a professor in the subject area wish to tutor. Forms must be sent directly from the references to the Wintrode Tutoring Program Coordinator at the Wintrode Student Success Center. The proper address and contact information is on the form.Link to Fillable PDF/Printable Tutor Reference Form