Apply for benefits online through Vets.gov
- Go to Vets.gov.
- You will need your bank account number and routing number for direct deposit information.
- Dependents will need Veterans Social Security number.
Required documents to bring to VA office
- Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Note: COE arrives 4-6 weeks after completion of application on Vets.gov.
- If you are a Chapter 1606 - Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)
- Kicker Contract
After you have registered for classes
- Log into your MyState account and complete VA Information Form.
- Once the form is submitted, it will automatically be sent to your adviser. Upon adviser approval, the form will be sent to the VA office. This form allows us to certify you for your benefits.
Got Credits for Military Experience?
SDSU grants six (6) credits for Basic Military Training upon receipt of approved documentation: DD-214 - Certificate of Release of Discharge from Active Duty, Official Joint Services Transcript (JST) or official Community College of the Air Force transcript (CCAF).
- Army/Navy/Marines: MSL 101 Introduction to the Army and Critical Thinking, 1 credit, MSL 102 Introduction to the Profession of Arms for 1 credit, MSL 201 Leadership and Decision Making for 2 credits, HLTH 100 Wellness for Life for 2 credits.
- Air Force: AIR 101/101L Foundations of the US Air Force for 1 credit, AIR 102/102L Foundations of the US Air Force for 1 credit, AIR 201/201L Team and Leadership Fundamentals I for 1 credit, AIR 202/202L Team and Leadership Fundamentals II for 1 credit, HLTH 100 Wellness for Life for 2 credits.
*If the student is currently enrolled in or has completed HLTH 100, SDSU substitutes PE 100 for a maximum of 2 credits.
Upon review of approved documentation, additional credit may be granted for prior military experience if learning is of comparable nature, content and level to that offered by SDSU based upon SDSU college and major requirements. The SDSU courses for which the student received credits are recorded on the academic record with the CR grade which does not affect the grade point average. Credit will not be given for duplication of courses. Credit accepted for military educational experiences may not exceed 30 credits for a baccalaureate degree or 15 credits for an associate degree.