The Mission of Van D. and Barbara B. Fishback Honors College at South Dakota State University is to provide talented, motivated students with a personalized, engaging, distinctive academic and enrichment experience that will position them for success as lifelong learners and leaders.
We will provide the rigor, opportunity and community necessary to equip our graduates with the skills and ethic to go into the world reaching under-served audiences, elevating those around them and using their gifts in service of others.
We serve as an engine of opportunity to elevate, enrich and enliven the student experience at South Dakota State University.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Effectively communicate ideas and beliefs with clarity, civility and respect.
- Analyze and integrate multiple sources of information and demonstrate applications of critical thinking.
- Articulate personal values, beliefs and self-identity.
- Articulate the value of diversity, inclusion and equity.
- Demonstrate professionalism in a variety of contexts.
SDSU Foundation Partner
- Keith Mahlum
Keith is the Vice President for Development for the SDSU Foundation. He previously served as the Associate Athletic Director and Development Director for the SDSU Athletic Department. He earned his Bachelor of Science degree in health, physical education and recreation/sports management from the University of Wisconsin-LaCrosse in 1991. He earned his master’s degree in health, physical education and recreation/athletic administration from SDSU in 1993. Keith partners with Honors on key initiatives.
Honors Faculty Committee
- The Honors College Faculty Committee serves to advise the Dean and provide overall direction and policy input for the college and its programs.
They serve as resource persons for Honors College students in their academic colleges and work with the Dean to advocate on the students’ behalf and enhance the Honors College experience for faculty and students. Current members of this committee include:
- Ross Abraham - Jerome J. Lohr College of Engineering
- Valerie Albert - College of Education and Human Sciences
- Matthew Badura - Wintrode Student Success Center
- Robin Brown - College of Nursing
- Evren Celik Wiltse - College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- Bob Fourney - Jerome J. Lohr College of Engineering
- Fathi Halaweish - College of Natural Sciences
- Rosie Nold - College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Sciences
- Greg Peterson - College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- Joshua Reineke - College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions
Honors Departmental Representatives
- Honors Department Representatives are appointed in each of the academic programs.
These representatives serve as advocates and resource persons for Honors College students in their respective departments. They include:
- Patricia Ahmed - Sociology and Rural Studies
- Sanjeev Anand - Dairy Science
- Matthew Badura - Wintrode Student Success Center
- Paul Baggett - English
- Diana Behl - School of Design
- Geoffrey Bonvallet - Physics
- Shelly Brandenburger - Nursing
- Volker Brozel - Biology and Microbiology
- Andrea Carlile - School of Communication and Journalism
- Evren Celik Wiltse – History, Political Science, Philosophy and Religion
- Ian Charnley - Natural Sciences
- Chris Chase - Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences
- David Clay - Agronomy, Horticulture and Plant Science
- Kay Cutler - Teaching, Learning and Leadership
- Rocky Dailey - School of Communication and Journalism
- David Davis - Economics Matt Diischer – Housing and Residential Life
- Molly Enz - Modern Languages and Global Studies
- Anne Fennell - Agronomy, Horticulture, and Plant Science
- Donna Flint - Mathematics and Statistics
- Bob Fourney - Electrical Engineering
- Teresa Hall - Construction and Operations Management
- Dan Hansen - College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions
- Greg Heiberger - Biology and Microbiology
- Wookjae Heo - Consumer Sciences
- Kathy Heylens - Intercollegiate Athletics
- Allen Jones - Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Kendra Kattelmann - Health and Nutritional Science
- Young Ae Kim - School of Design
- Kimberly Johnson Maier - Geography and Geospatial Science
- Linda Kott - Briggs Library Maribeth Latvis, Natural Resource Management
- Maribeth Latvis - Natural Resource Management
- Greg Michna - Mechanical Engineering
- Rosie Nold - Animal Science
- Brian Rex - Architecture Deb Spear – Psychology
- Nicholas Shirley - University Housing
- Debra Spear - Psychology
- Todd Trooien - Ag & Biosystems Engineering
- Toby Uecker - Student Affairs
- Michael Walsh - Music
- Rachel Willand Charnley - Chemistry & Biochemistry
Honors Development Council
- The Fishback Honors College has an external Development/Advisory Council, which meets annually in the fall.
- Robert Burns – Former Honors Dean, Distinguished Professor Emeritus
- Chris Chase – Professor of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences
- Jared Clark – Honors Alumnus, Attorney
- Chris Daugaard – Honors Alumnus; Partner at Ernst Capital Group
- Richard Deming – Distinguished SDSU Alumnus; Oncologist
- Tom Fishback – First Bank and Trust Travys
- Travys Harvey-King – Business Executive
- Richard Holm – Family Practice Physician
- Kelli Jobman – Honors Alumna, Practicing Dentist
- Al Johnson – Retired Engineer
- Dan Kemp – Professor of Mathematics
- Peggy Miller – President Emeritus of South Dakota State University
- Jim Morgan – Board of Regents Member, Retired CEO of Daktronics
- Harriet Swedlund – Former Honors Program Director, Professor Emeritus