Skip to main content

Interactive Map

Advanced Search

Abbott Hall

Abbott Hall

Part of Jackrabbit Village, Abbott Hall is one of three new residence halls completed in August 2010. The four floors house 148 students with 21 rooms on each floor — 16 doubles, four singles and a room for a residence hall adviser. By dorm standards, the rooms are supersized at 204 square feet (basically 20 x 10 feet). They are 44 square feet, or 25 percent, larger than most rooms on campus. Each floor has a dedicated, sound-proof study room, two restrooms, air conditioning, and a living room that includes a full kitchen with full-sized appliances, a fireplace, soft seating, and an electronic gaming area.

Agricultural Engineering

Agricultural Engineering Building

Located just east of the library, the brick structure was built in 1959 at a cost of $692,000.

Agricultural Heritage Museum

Agricultural Heritage Museum

Originally built as the Stock Judging Pavilion, it became the headquarters of the State Agricultural Heritage Museum, a program of SDSU in 1977.

Alfred Dairy Science Hall

Alfred Dairy Science Hall

Receiving its first major renovation in 51 years, the dairy microbiology building was dedicated as the Alfred Dairy Science Hall in October 2011. It is home to the Department of Dairy and Food Science and the Biology & Microbiology department. The building was dedicated in honor of the late Alfred Nef and Alfred Gonzenbach, two Swiss immigrants who founded Valley Queen Cheese Factory in Milbank, S.D.

Alumni Center

Alumni Center

As the newest addition of the Jerome J. Lohr Building, the two-level building is the home of the SDSU Alumni Association.

American Indian Student Center

American Indian Student Center

In 2020, SDSU opened a 12,400-square-foot American Indian Student Center, which provides a "home away from home" environment and cultural activities. The $4.5 million facility provides student support services, technology resources, office space and meeting rooms.

Animal Disease Research & Diagnostic Laboratory

Animal Disease Research & Diagnostic Laboratory

ADRDL is one of fewer than 40 veterinary diagnostic laboratories accredited by the American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians (AAVLD). This building built in 1993 houses the Veterinary & Biomedical Sciences Department.

Animal Resource Wing

Animal Resource Wing

The Animal Resource Wing is a core animal facility maintained by the Department of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences.

Animal Science Arena

Animal Science Arena

Animal Science Arena is a 21,000-square-foot facility that serves as home to the Little International livestock exposition as well as hosting other livestock events.

Animal Science Complex

Animal Science Complex

Built in 1977 at a cost of 4 million dollars. The Animal Science Complex is comprised of three units: the Animal Science Arena, the Meat Laboratory and research laboratories.

Avera Health & Science Center

Avera Health & Science Center

Avera Health & Science Center opened in July 2010 and features 97,000 square feet of teaching, laboratory and office space as well as 48,600 square feet of research laboratory space.

Bailey Rotunda

Bailey Rotunda

The Bailey Rotunda houses seven large, theater-style classrooms and a technology center to provide the latest in modern teaching techniques. Built in 1969 at the cost of $547,727.

Ben Reifel Hall

Ben Reifel Hall in the summertime

Located near the southeast side of campus in Jackrabbit Grove. Each floor is complete with elevators, full-sized kitchens, a lounge with a fireplace, TV and cable. Each room is air conditioned, most with their own thermostat letting students control their own air temperature. Ben Reifel Hall has double rooms sized at 16-feet by 11-feet. There is a basement with a lounge, a TV, pool table and foosball for residents to use.
Ben Reifel is available to both first and second year students.

Berg Agricultural Hall

Berg Agricultural Hall

Named in honor of former University President Sherwood Berg, Berg Agricultural Hall houses the offices of the Dean of Agriculture, the Director of the Cooperative Extension Service, and the Director of the Agricultural Experiment Station. State 4-H offices are located here as well as Biology laboratories and classrooms.

Binnewies Hall

Binnewies Hall

Binnewies Hall is a co-ed residence hall on the east side of campus built in 1969. It is connected by Larson Commons to Young Hall. Binnewies houses 490 residents in its eight building wings.

Brown Hall

Brown Hall

Brown Hall is a co-ed residence hall located in the Grove area built in 1959. It houses 400 residents.

Caldwell Hall

Caldwell Hall

Caldwell Hall houses approx. 300 students and is used as a co-ed hall for second year students. Caldwell also has some specifically designed ADA rooms available for students with additional needs.

Central Heating Plant

Central Heating Plant

The Central Heating Plant heats about 85% of the buildings on campus.

Chicoine Architecture, Mathematics and Engineering Hall

Chicoine Architecture, Mathematics and Engineering Hall

The Chicoine Architecture, Mathematics and Engineering Hall is a part of the Jerome J. Lohr College of Engineering. Located on the southwest side of campus, the 62,000-square foot building has three floors.

Communications Center

Communications Center

The Communications Center is located on Campanile Avenue between Morrill Hall and Bailey Rotunda.

Coolidge Sylvan Theatre

Coolidge Sylvan Theatre

On September 10, 1927, President Calvin Coolidge dedicated this outdoor theatre and the Lincoln Memorial Library. Located just off Medary Avenue, the green space has several structures and wrought iron gates.

Coughlin Campanile

Coughlin Campanile

Coughlin Campanile, the face of South Dakota State University, is a chimes tower that stands 165 feet tall. The Campanile built in 1929 at a cost of $75,000. It took 320,000 bricks to build. The campanile rings out the time, on the hour and plays music during the 10-minute period in-between classes as students are walking on campus.

Cow-Calf Education and Research Facility

Cow-Calf Education and Research Facility

The facility was completed in 2016, and is used by the Department of Animal Science and the College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Sciences.

Crothers Engineering Hall

Crothers Engineering Hall

Built in 1957, the building is named after Harold M. Crothers, thrice acting president of then South Dakota State College (1946-1947, 1951, and 1957-1958) and former Dean of Engineering. The cost of the structure was approximately $850,000.

Dairy Bar

Dairy Bar

Taste some of SDSU’s finest dairy products at the Dairy Bar.

Dairy Research & Training Facility

Dairy Research

The facility produces all of the milk that is processed at the SDSU Dairy Plant.

Dakota Lakes Research Farm

Dakota Lakes Research Farm

The Dakota Lakes Research Farm focuses on both irrigated and dryland crop research. The farm is managed as a no-till farm. 240 of the 840 acres are devoted to irrigation.

Daktronics Engineering Hall

Daktronics Engineering Hall

Daktronics Engineering Hall houses two departments, electrical engineering and computer science and physics.

Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium

Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium

Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium, the home for Jackrabbits Football, is located on the northeast side of campus. Completed in August 2016, it is built on the same site as the previous stadium, Coughlin-Alumni. The Dana J. Dykhouse stadium has a capacity of 19,340 (up from 11,000).

Davis Dairy Plant

Davis Dairy Plant

The dairy building is the result of a $9.3–million construction and remodeling project. As with the original building, the new facility houses dairy husbandry and bacteriology departments as well as a dairy products laboratory and the Dairy Bar snack shop. The Davis Dairy Plant and the Alfred Dairy Science Hall were dedicated October 21, 2011.

DePuy Military Hall

DePuy Military Hall

Houses Aerospace Studies and Military Science Offices. The building was renamed DePuy Military Hall on December 11, 1987.

Design Studio

Design Studio

Located west of Medary Avenue, this facility’s large, open floor plan is a place to make and iterate again and again, allowing students to work individually or at times in collaboration.

Dykhouse Student-Athlete Center

Dykhouse Student-Athletic Center

Completed in spring 2010, the Dykhouse Student-Athlete Center houses an academic center for all student-athletes, and is headquarters for the football team with coaches offices, meeting rooms, and weight training and conditioning rooms as well as locker room to accommodate 110 players.

East Headhouse

East Headhouse

Built in 1955, the East Headhouse serves the research and teaching functions and operations of the Plant Science building and East greenhouses.

Edgar S. McFadden Biostress Lab

Edgar S. McFadden Biostress Lab

The McFadden Biostress Lab provides modern laboratory facilities for increased research of biological stress factors in the semi-arid Northern Great Plains.

Enrollment Services Center

Enrollment Services Center

The building formerly known as Medary Commons is now the Enrollment Services Center and is located on the northwest corner of campus, is typically one of the first stops for students and prospective students.

Erv Huether Field

Erv Huether Field

Baseball returned to the SDSU campus in the spring of 2008 with the opening of the new Erv Huether Field. Located in the northeast corner of the SDSU athletic complex, Erv Huether Field opened on April 21, 2008, when the Jackrabbits defeated Presentation (S.D.), 22-3.

Facilities & Services

Facilities & Services

Located west of the football stadium. There are two primary buildings —housing the trades shops and Customer Service Center & the other building housing the central office functions of Facilities and Services.

Facilities and Services Customer Service Center

Facilities & Services Customer Service Center

Located west of the football stadium. There are two primary buildings —housing the trades shops and Customer Service Center & the other building housing the central office functions of Facilities and Services.

Fishback Center for Early Childhood Education

Fishback Center for Early Childhood Education

The Fishback Center for Early Childhood Education celebrated its 90th year in 2019.

Foundation Seed Conditioning

Foundation Seed Conditioning

Completed in 1956, Foundation Seed is the source for pure genetics of varieties developed by the Agricultural Experiment Station crop breeding teams. The primary purpose of Foundation Seed is to increase new varieties as quickly as possible, working closely with the plant breeders at SDSU and neighboring foundation seed organizations.

Frost Arena

Frost Arena

The facility, part of the Stanley J. Marshall Center, seats 6,500 fans for basketball. SDSU plays its home basketball and volleyball games and wrestling matches in Frost Arena, named after former SDSU men's basketball coach and athletic director Reuben B. "Jack" Frost.

Grove Hall

Grove Hall

Renamed Grove Hall in 1995 the building was originally constructed as a food service facility and was named Grove Commons.

Hansen Hall

Hansen Hall

Built in 1967, Hansen Hall is a four-story co-ed residence hall on the west side of campus that houses 440 residents. Hansen Hall has a fitness facility, a sauna and also a full-service computer lab.

Harding Hall

Harding Hall

The Ness School of Management and Economics is located in Harding Hall. What was once a residence hall and then college of engineering facility is now home to six majors and 10 minors focused on business, economics and management.

Hilton M. Briggs Library

Hilton M. Briggs Library

The Hilton M. Briggs Library is home to three floors of academic materials, study space, computers and copiers; the perfect place for students to complete homework. Students can access physical materials at the library or online through their QuickSearch and internet catalogs. They have over 678,000 volumes. The library was built in 1977 for 3.85 million.

Honors Hall

Honors Hall

Honors Hall is open to all students in the Van D. and Barbara B. Fishback Honors College. The hall offers double and suite-style rooms. This co-ed hall is home to 198 residents.

Horse Unit

Horse Unit

The Equine Teaching Facility is located west of Medary Avenue and across from the Animal Science Arena. The unit consists of three primary structures — a riding arena and two livestock barns, as well as pastures.

Horticulture & Forestry

Hort and Forestry

The Horticulture & Forestry greenhouses and head house include faculty and staff offices, a classroom, walk-in freezer and cooler, storage, and greenhouse space spread out over 14 individual bays.

Horticulture Greenhouse

Horticulture Greenhouse

The Horticulture-Forestry greenhouses and head house include faculty and staff offices, a classroom, walk-in freezer and cooler, storage, and greenhouse space spread out over 14 individual bays.

Hyde Hall

Hyde Hall

Hallie Walker Hyde (1886-1961) was the first woman chosen as leader of the student body. She served with an all-male cabinet at a time when two-thirds of the students were men. Notably, she was elected to the position more than 11 years before women were granted the right to vote in the United States.

Jackrabbit Softball Field

Jackrabbit Softball Field

Located just north of the Sanford-Jackrabbit Athletic Complex, the Jackrabbits played their first game in Jackrabbit Softball Stadium on April 20, 2007.

Jerome J. Lohr Building (SDSU Foundation)

Jerome J. Lohr Building

Located on the northwest corner of Medary Avenue and Eighth Street, the three-level brick building is the headquarters of the SDSU Foundation.

Larson Commons

Larson Commons

The Larson Commons dining facility serves Young and Binnewies residence halls.

Lincoln Hall

Lincoln Hall

Originally built in 1927, Lincoln Hall is currently being renovated and will become the home for the School of American and Global Studies and the administrative offices of the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences.

Local Foods Education Center

Local Food and Ed

The South Dakota State University Local Foods Education Center is a novel approach to addressing food security in South Dakota. The 1.2 acre outdoor classroom is located on Medary Avenue on the northern edge of the SDSU campus.

Mathews Hall

Front of Mathews Hall

The co-ed residence hall is one of the smaller halls on campus. It was built in the Grove area in 1961. Located next door to the University Student Union, Mathews Hall is home to over 380 students on campus.

McCrory Gardens Education & Visitor Center

McCrory Gardens Education & Visitor Center

McCrory Gardens Education & Visitor Center was built in 2012.

Meadows North Apartments

Meadows North Apartments

Located on Eleventh Street at the northwest corner of campus, there are four single bedrooms within each of the 80 apartments, which can be rented on nine- or twelve-month contracts.

Meadows South Apartments

Meadows South Apartments

Located on Eleventh Street at the northwest corner of campus, there are four single bedrooms within each of the 80 apartments, which can be rented on nine- or twelve-month contracts.

Medal of Honor Park

Medal of Honor Park

The Medal of Honor Park is located near DePuy Military Hall.

Miller Wellness Center

Miller Wellness Center

The SDSU Miller Wellness Center is one of just a few facilities in the nation with a gym, health clinic, counseling services and pharmacy all under one roof, on a college campus. The $12.1-million, 74,000-square-foot facility, was unveiled for students August 31, 2008.

Morrill Hall

Morrill Hall 2018

Morrill Hall—named in honor of Justin Smith Morrill, who is widely remembered today for the Morrill Land-Grant Colleges Act—houses several offices on campus. This includes the Office of the President, Office of Academic Affairs, Graduate School, Budget and Finance, University Counsel, Technology and Security, Human Resources and Accounting. While several staff and university administrators work here, students can come to Morrill Hall to use or learn about Title IX resources. They can also get help connecting electronic devices to the internet, pay tuition and more.

Nathelle and Lawrence DeHaan Equestrian Center

Nathelle and Lawrence DeHaan Equestrian Center

Dedicated on Oct. 15, 2008, project benefactor Nathelle DeHaan’s avid support of SDSU and love for horses grew to make the SDSU Equestrian program and the Equestrian Center a reality.

North Headhouse

North Headhouse

The North Headhouse is used by the Agronomy, Horticulture and Plant Science Department.

Northeast Research Farm

Northeast Research Farm

The Northeast Research Farm was established in 1956. It is located approximately 15 miles north of Watertown at the junction of Highway 20 and old Highway 81, or 2 miles west of the I-29 South Shore exit.

Old Horticulture

Old Horticulture

Old Horticulture houses the Office of Information Technology.

Oscar Larson Performing Arts Center

Outside of the OLPAC

A state-of-the-art facility, the Oscar Larson Performing Arts Center was built as a joint project between the university and the city of Brookings.

Physiology Laboratory

Physiology Laboratory

The Physiology Laboratory currently houses a plant science laboratory on the upper level, and a fermentation laboratory on the lower level.

Pierson Hall

Pierson Hall

Built as a co-ed residence hall in the Grove area in 1965. Pierson houses 440 men and women.

Plant Science Building

Plant Science Building

The Plant Science Laboratories building houses an important portion of the plant research conducted on campus.

Plant Science Research Support Center

Plant Science Research Support Center

This 17,000 square foot facility will allow for an increase in research and hands-on learning opportunities for students.

Pugsley Center

Pugsley Center 2018

Built in 1940, the Pugsley Center is home to the Information Technologies Center, the Communication Studies and Theatre Department, and the early childhood and preschool facilities.

Raven Precision Agriculture Center

SDSU Raven Precision Agriculture Center

The Raven Precision Agriculture Center brings agronomy, engineering and computer science disciplines under one roof, where students and faculty can collaborate, conduct research and innovate.

Residential Life Facilities Building

Rodeo Grounds

Rodeo Grounds

Built in the 1960s, the SDSU Rodeo Arena, west of the Animal Science Arena off of Medary Avenue, was once the home to many Jackrabbit Stampede Rodeos and large, standing-room-only crowds.

Sanford-Jackrabbit Athletic Complex

Sanford-Jackrabbit Athletic Complex

The Sanford-Jackrabbit Athletic Complex is a multi-purpose indoor competition and training facility located just north of Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium. The facility includes an eight-lane, 300-meter track and 100 yards of soy based synthetic turf, along with space for sports medicine, athletic training, strength and conditioning, physical therapy, hydrotherapy, observation rooms and office facilities.

Schultz Hall

Schultz Hall 2018

Theodore Schultz (1902-1998) developed the founding theories of human capital that have been cited by economists worldwide. He was the 1979 recipient of the Nobel Prize in Economics and the only SDSU alumnus recognized among the first century of Nobel laureates.

SDSU Bookstore

SDSU Bookstore

The SDSU Bookstore sells books, apparels, school supplies, textbooks, apparel and merchandise.

SDSU Disc Golf Course

SDSU Disc Golf Course

The SDSU Disc Golf Course is located on the east side of campus.

Sheep Research and Teaching Unit

SDSU Sheep Unit

The SDSU Sheep Research and Teaching Unit, located 1.5 miles north of the main campus, maintains a closed ewe flock of 250 commercial Polypay and 125 purebred Hampshire ewes.

Solberg Hall

Solberg Hall

Solberg Hall was built in 1901 for $65,000 and named in honor of Halvor Christian Solberg, the man who introduced mechanical engineering to SDSU. Solberg drove the first car in Brookings in 1904 and started an automobile engineering course before anyone recognized that the auto was here to stay. He drew up plans for Highway 14 from Winona, MN to the Black Hills, as well as numerous other projects.

South Dakota Art Museum

South Dakota Art Museum 2018

Located on the west side of campus, the South Dakota Art Museum is home to several collections of people with an SDSU connection or to the state. Paintings by Ada Caldwell, Harvey Dunn, Oscar Howe and more are on display at the museum. Museum curators change the exhibits every few months to provide a fresh display. The building also has a lecture hall, along with a gift shop. While admission to the museum is free, donations are appreciated.

Southeast Research Farm

Southeast Research Farm

Around 1955, a group of progressive farmers began efforts to create an association that would be concerned with agricultural research in southeast South Dakota.

Southeast University Neighborhood

SE Neighborhood

Southeast University Neighborhood includes apartments, townhouses and a Starbucks coffee shop.

Spencer Hall

Spencer Hall 2018

Part of Jackrabbit Village, Spencer Hall is one of three new residence halls completed in August 2010.

Stanley J. Marshall Center

Stanley J. Marshall Center

Stanley J. Marshall Center houses offices for most of the Athletic Department as well as Frost Arena, the 6,500-seat home of the SDSU Jackrabbits. Also within the Center is an indoor track for athletic teams and a swimming pool.

Starbucks

The Starbucks location in the Southeast Neighborhood is a 2,500-square-foot coffee shop.

Swine Education and Research Facility

Swine Education and Research Facility.

Built in 2016, the Education and Research Facility will provide resources to elevate undergraduate animal science, pre-veterinary science and ag engineering curriculums. They also will provide expanded opportunities for undergraduate and graduate research projects.

Testing Center

Testing Center

The Testing Center is where students can complete exams for placement, certifications, credit for prior learning and various courses on campus.

The Barn

The Barn

The Barn was built for $85,500 as the Gymnasium-Armory in 1918 and the seating capacity was around 3,000.

Thorne Hall

Thorne Hall 2018

Part of Jackrabbit Village, Thorne Hall has four floors that house 148 students with 21 rooms on each floor — 16 doubles, four singles and a room for a residence hall adviser.

Transportation Services

Transportation Services building

The Transportation Services building is found on the north side of campus and houses the Motor Pool and Parking Services.

University Arbor Day Park

Arbor Day Park

Founded on Arbor Day, April 29, 1960.

University Police Department

University Police Department

The University Police Department, located east of Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium, is the hub for campus safety. UPD is full service provider of non-emergency and emergency public safety services.

University Student Union

Student Union

Originally built in 1973 for $2.8 million in 1974, the University Student Union is the center of student activity. The Union is three levels and houses numerous meeting rooms including the Volstorff Ballroom, several places to study or hang out with friends, the University Bookstore, Information Exchange, several eating establishments and student government offices.

Veterans Affairs Resource Center

Volga Farm

Volga Farm

The Volga Farm is cropland and one machine shed. It is located on the southwest side of Volga, SD.

Wagner Hall

Wagner Hall

Connected by a hallway to the north side of Bailey Rotunda, Wagner Hall serves as headquarters for the College of Nursing, College of Education, Counseling and Human Sciences, and College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences. It is a combination of offices, classrooms and labs.

Waneta Hall

Waneta Hall

Connected to Wecota Annex on the west side of campus. It houses 320 residents, primarily sophomores, juniors and seniors. Each floor has a dayroom containing couches and cable television. There is also a full kitchen on the second and third floors.

Warren E. Williams Intramural Fields

The Warren E. Williams Intramural Fields moved to their current location in the fall 2018 semester.

Wecota Annex

Wecota Hall

Wecota Hall

Four distinctive columns with ornate tops create a distinctive focal point at Wecota's double front doors that was built in 1915. Wecota signifies the second maiden in an Indian family.

Wenona Hall

Wenona Hall

Wecota's fraternal twin to the North built in 1909, was the first women's dormitory on campus. The name signifies the firstborn maiden in an Indian family.

West Hall

West Hall

The building served as the Brookings Hospital until 1964. Part of the two-story building was used for residence hall overflow for a brief time before Binnewies and Young Halls were built in 1969.

Wintrode Student Success and Opportunity Center

Wintrode Student Success Center

Home of the Wintrode Tutoring Program and several other academic support programs through which SDSU students can schedule tutoring appointments or access walk-in tutoring services for select courses.

Woodbine Cottage

Woodbine Cottage

Located at the northwest corner of Medary Avenue and Harvey Dunn Street, the residence has served as the official home of SDSU's presidents since 1903.

Yeager Hall

Yeager Hall

Yeager Hall houses the University Printing Laboratory on the lower level and the School of Communication and Journalism on the upper level. It was built in 1951 at a cost of $238,144.

Young Brothers Seed Technology Laboratory

Young Hall

Young Hall 2018

Young Hall is a co-ed residence hall on the east side of campus built in 1969. It houses 490 residents.